Part Two


The sky was rocked with thunder as in the distance lightning flashed wildly. Winds tore through the region creating numerous dust devils. Birds took to the sky in large flocks as they tried to fly away from the storm brewing in the distance. The sun was obscured by the large layer of clouds that had encompassed the sky.

Watching all of this from where he stood on a ledge overlooking the valley before him was Quar, a simple priest in the church of Ceiphied. Though once he traveled for a short time, adventuring with his friends across the lands, he eventually decided to instead dedicate more of his time to working in the clergy and away from all of the fighting. However, now he found himself drawn back to his old life as an aching feeling tugged at him.

"Something is approaching," Quar muttered as he gazed toward the horizon. His black hair and his cloak flapped in the wind as he stared outward.

He sensed something great was going to happen, an approaching climax to something that had been started a long time ago. The words of the oracle that visited the church still echoed in his head rumoring about the coming cataclysm. Though he was unsure why he now felt obligated to go forth and do something now. Was it the will of Ceiphied guiding him or was it something else? All he knew was that he had to find the needed person that was spoken of.

"How long have you been there?" he asked not even bothering to glance back at what he knew was there.

Sitting on a rock a few steps behind him was what he could divine as a Dwarf, though most of the ones he saw were from legends. This dwarf seemed to fit the stereotype look quite nicely with his short stocky body and beard. His hair was mostly brown but showed hints of graying along the sides and beard. He wore a simple plate mail armor over himself topped with a helmet that had a pair of horns sprouting on each side, a brownish mane down the back. In his hand was a mighty axe with a keen edge that he sharpened with a whetstone as he talked to it softly.

"Long enough I suppose," the dwarf replied as he checked the sharpness of his axe. "Priest."

"Dwarf," Quar replied back as he turned to face the vertically challenged person.

The two locked eyes on each other for a long moment as not one made a single move or took a single breath as they waited.

Shrugging his shoulders as he put his axe down, the Dwarf chuckled, "Well I think that's enough for now. The name's Ashen the Cleaver."

"How interesting," Quar stated as Ashen gave a hearty laugh.

"Well what's your name, boy?" he inquired as he stroke his beard.

"Quar. That is all that I am known by," Quar remarked as the dwarf looked him over.

"Figures," Ashen snorted as he stood up and looked at Quar. "I suspect you been sensing the coming tides?" he asked as Quar nodded.

"Yes, I've been aware of this, but I don't see why the dwarves are interested in getting involved," Quar remarked as Ashen smirked.

"Well most of us aren't actually. We've been having our own load of problems to deal with then bothering with what the fate of the world is," Ashen explained. "But I for one thought it be an interesting change to get out of the old forge and bust some heads," he smiled as Quar merely looked at him. Sighing as he shook his head, Ashen grumbled, "The boy doesn't have a funny bone in his body."

"I prefer not to indulge myself in such things," Quar remarked as he walked by the dwarf down the ledge.

"Any ideas about the so-called person we need to get to help stop all of this?" Ashen inquired as he hefted up his axe and followed Quar.

"I know who it is," Quar stated.

Scratching his beard as he thought for a bit, Ashen remarked, "Probably a warrior of some sort, right?"

"Correct," Quar answered. "Apparently fate enjoys using them a lot."

"Well, they're a lot better then those cruddy sorcerers," Ashen grumbled as Quar raised an eyebrow a bit.

"So the old saying about dwarves hating magic is true?" Quar inquired as he stopped for a bit to let Ashen catch up.

"Well what do you expect?" Ashen remarked shrugging. "We dwarves have natural resistance to magic and that makes us prime opponents against those blasted sorcerers. Not to mention we don't like elves either. Blasted tree hugging freaks," Ashen grumbled as he spat on the ground.

"I see," Quar remarked as he crossed his arms. "Any other great tidbits of knowledge you wish to bestow upon me?"

Pausing to think of something, Ashen replied, "Well how about this? If it won't open, bash it down and if that doesn't work, get a bigger thing to bash it down with."

A long silence passed with some sagebrush rolling by.

"I think we should be going," Quar interrupted the silence.

"Hold on a second, who made you the leader of this little endeavor?" Ashen inquired crossing his arms.

"I'm the one who knows where we are to be going," Quar stated as Ashen snorted at the comment.

"Well, I think I deserve leadership due to seniority," Ashen replied as Quar looked totally unfazed by the comment. "I'll have you know that I am over 400 years old," he beamed proudly as Quar merely stood there.

"And that is something that gives you credibility as a leader?" Quar inquired as Ashen growled at the comment.

"I am far wiser and more experience then you'll ever be," Ashen snapped as he brought himself to full height, which still wasn't all that tall. "I've wasted fifty orcs, two dozen lizard men, a few gnolls, and even three trolls in a single battle," He proclaimed proudly.

"Embellishing our tales a bit aren't we?" Quar asked as Ashen exploded at the insult to his pride and honor.

"You calling me and Lucy a liar?" Ashen balked as he produced his axe and glared at Quar.

Quar was about to remark aback, when he something caught his attention. "Who is Lucy?"

Almost on the verge of exploding, Ashen yelled, "This is Lucy and you better not make her angry."

Quar looked at the axe the dwarf was now holding up to his face. Labeled on the handle part of the axe was the name Lucy. Things have taken the turn for the weird it seemed.

"I don't think any of this is going to help us in stopping what is bound to happen," Quar stated as he turned to walk off. "If you want to come you can, but I don't care about who is leader."

"Fine then," Ashen sighed as he put Lucy away. "First let me get Lady ready for travel," he stated as he ran ahead of Quar.

"Lady?" Quar muttered wondering what kind of weird thing had that name.

Following the dwarf ahead of him down the side of the ledge as Ashen's armor made quite a lot of clatter from the metal banging together, he eventually came to an outcropping of rocks at the base of the hill as he seemed to look around a bit. Finally hearing the sound of grunting, Ashen walked around a large rock as Quar spotted what appeared to be a boar with a saddle on it chewing on some weeds growing by the rock.

"Lady," Ashen declared as he stroked the snout of the boar lovingly.

Quar shook his head, by the wisdom of Ceiphied he should have seen that coming since that Lucy incident.

"Well let's go," Ashen replied as he climbed onto the boar. Kicking to go, he said, "We better hurry if we're to find him."

"Of course, he's somewhere near the capital city of Saillune," Quar remarked as he kept even pace with the dwarf on the boar.

"So what's the lad name?" Ashen asked patting his boar.

"Gourry Gabriev," Quar said as Ashen raised an eyebrow.

The rest of the traveling was fairly quiet as the duo made their way away from the storm and proceeded through a densely packed forest. Only bits of light filtered in through the canopy made by the trees as the two went down an ill-used path. Animals of the forest were strangely silent as a flock of birds quickly flew by overhead. Lady suddenly stopped in her tracks as she started to smell the air a bit, before she snorted and pawed the dirt.

Quar narrowed his eyes as he sensed of imminent danger kicked in, "Something's amidst."

"Well, if we are in an ambush then they might as well get on with it," Ashen grumbled crossing his arms and tapping his arm impatiently. Growing irritated by the silence, Ashen roared, "We know you're out there so get on with it now so we can get a change of pace!"

Quar nearly facefaulted except it would have been out of character.

The whole forest suddenly came alive as sounds of people moving could be heard from all around them. Leaping out of the trees were beastmen and berserkers landing all around the duo, blocking out all exits. Stumbling out the forest was the massive forms of ogre bearing clubs and trolls with their sharp claws. Lastly a few skeletons came popping out of the ground just for some added effect to the whole ambush thing.

"That was most certainly overblown," Ashen snorted as he looked at all of the monsters.

"They're certainly numerous," Quar added looking around them. They were totally surrounded now by the monsters.

"Too bad for you," a voice mocked as the monsters in front parted way to expose their leader.

He was a tall and massive figure dressed in black armor depicting the stereotypical black knight look for villains. Quar's magical expertise could sense that there was some sort of enchantment on that armor that was protecting it against some spells. Withdrawing a long slender sword, the Dark Knight pointed at them menacingly as his cape blew in the wind.

"Hand over all your goods," he ordered as the duo looked at each other and then at the knight.

"Isn't it a bit overdone?" Quar asked folding his arms.

"What is?"

"This," he stated pointing at all of the monsters. "All this to rob people of their stuff?"

"Actually we were on our way to attack a local hamlet nearby," the Dark Knight remarked scratching his helmet a bit.

"And it just happens that we were on your way and you decided to rob us as well," Ashen sighed as the Dark Knight nodded.

"Who are you anyway?" Quar inquired as the bad guy shrugged.

"I am called Goldias by a few, but it doesn't matter now. Prepare to die!" he roared as the monsters prepared to attack.

Looking at the monsters, Ashen sighed, "I don't see anything here that can hurt me."

"What?" Goldias remarked as all the monsters hit the ground.

"I am the mighty Dwarven Warrior Ashen the Cleaver," Ashen announced as he beat his fist against the metal plate of his armor. "I've lived through worse fights than this. I'll have you all know that I slew two giants in a single swing."

"Embellishing our tales still?" Quar inquired, raising an eyebrow.

"Well actions speaks louder than words! Charge!" Ashen roared kicking Lady into action as he raised Lucy up into the air.

Shaking his head sadly, Quar recited the magic words of the spell as the other monsters closed into attack.

Major butt kicking commenced. Guess who won?

"Now that was a pleasant workout, if I do say so myself," Ashen smiled as he sat on a pile of monsters as he sharpened his axe again. "Lucy and I haven't had such a chance to cut loose like that for sometime."

"At least you guys enjoyed it," Quar stated as he turned his attention to look for the leader. He probably took off after the first charge. "Apparently the leader fled," Quar remarked as Ashen chuckled at the comment.

"More than likely he was struck with fear at my sheer presence," Ashen beamed as he leaped off the pile he was on and strode toward Lady.

"I doubt even Ceiphied would believe such an embellishment," Quar said as Ashen shrugged as he got onto his mount.

The sound of clapping came out of the forest followed by, "That was certainly an impressive show you guys did there."

The two immediately turned to the source of the voice as the figure sat on one of the branches of the tree by the side of the road. He had shoulder length black hair as he looked at them with his gray eyes. Dressed in casual attires with a red mantle wrapped across his shoulder, he had one hand on his sword at his side. With a smirk he flipped off the branch as he landed down on the roadside before them, bowing casually to them both.

"Arthur," Quar remarked as Arthur smiled.

"Glad to have caught up with you, Quar," Arthur smirked as he brushed some loose hair back. "And I'm glad to meet you mighty Ashen Cleaver," he said as the dwarf beamed with pride.

"At least someone treats me with the respect I rightfully deserve," Ashen said toward Quar, who merely rolled his eyes.

"As if," Quar stated. "Why are you here Arthur?"

"Same as you are," Arthur replied putting his hands into his pocket. "Going off to save the world, again." Noticing the stare he was getting from the other two, he inquired, "And is there something wrong with that?"

"No, it just that I thought you would have a more personal reason then that," Quar remarked clearing his throat.

"And what's yours then?" Arthur inquired.

Silence touched down as the other two merely sweatdropped as they remained completely speechless. Lady, noticing that no one was going to say anything, went down and started to go to sleep as everyone just stood there silently.

"Well that is that then," Arthur sighed breaking the silence. "If we're going to stop what's coming, we'd better get to Gourry Gabriev and fast," he said as he started to march off.

The other two just looked at each for a moment, before they both just shrugged and decided to follow. Ashen woke up Lady so she could trot after Arthur and Quar on her short four legs causing Ashen's armor to clang a bit. Arthur whistled a tune as Quar silently made a prayer to Ceiphied for guidance in their quest. They were going to need it.


Wolfpack Island was the home of Greater Beast Zelas Metallium, one of the Mazoku Lords that served under Ruby Eye Shabranigudo. Zelas was not one to enjoy having guests over, especially uninvited guests, but in this case she had little to argue with him. She was pretty surprised to see that he was even still alive. The last time she met that figure was around before the Kouma War and he looked not a day younger. Of course, she had little knowledge of the type of Abomination that he was.

"Hard at thought or hardly thinking?" the guest smiled as Zelas merely glared at him. "I can see your décor hasn't changed all that much since the time I was here last," he commented looking around the chamber.

The guest was taller than her servant Xelloss by a little bit and had long purple hair draping pass his shoulder with a large bang obscuring part of his right face. He bore a similar smile on his face like the Mysterious Priest, dressed in a simple set of robes with a vestment draped over it with several golden bracelets on both arms. His staff was a thing of interest to her, made of a massive platinum orb on top, surrounded by three prongs to hold in place. The staff part was composed of blue crystal that hummed with power as it coursed through it. On the bottom was a pointed gemstone whose hue constantly shifted as it glowed softly.

"It matters not, Kaiser, why have you come here?" Zelas asked as she took a puff from her smoke.

"You should really try to stop smoking. At the rate you're going you'll lose a lung," Kaiser remarked as he waved his hand to disperse the smoke.

"Seriously, what is it?" Zelas snapped having no time for whatever games he was playing.

"Just a warning to you and all of your fellow Mazoku," Kaiser smiled as Zelas raised an eyebrow. "Stay out of the mortal affairs for now, should you not... Well I won't be held responsible for what happens." He sighed.

"Are you threatening us?" Zelas snarled showing her fangs.

"Threatening is such a big word, I prefer the term warning." Kaiser chuckled as it served to only further infuriate the Greater Beast. "Well, I hope we wouldn't have to go any further than that."

"Do you even think you can back up those claims?" she asked him as he shrugged.

"I'm only the representative for the person who's really behind all of this," he said as he looked at her with his gold and red eyes. "Besides are you really interested in what this 'abomination' is really capable of?"

Zelas didn't like the form of energy that was starting to emanate from him. She had doubts if he could actually defeat her, but he could probably do some severe damage. Besides, she was in no eagerness to do combat with someone who was an enigma like him.

"No," she said as she tossed her smoke away. Materializing a glass of wine, she asked, "I'm surprised to see that you managed to survive all these years. The Golds failed to kill you off?"

With a laugh to make your blood run cold, Kaiser smiled. "The Golds deny all knowledge of my existence. So they won't do anything about me. As for other parent side... Well they seem fairly content in letting me handle things by myself."

"You're quite confident," Zelas said as she sipped her wine.

Scratching the back of his head, Kaiser laughed, "Well, I have reasons to be." "I think I'll be taking my leave now. Don't bother doing anything. I know my own way out." He smiled as he walked out of the room.

Zelas just glared as he walked away, squeezing the glass in her hand till it shattered. Opening her hand up, she let the broken shards of glass fall to the ground as the wine dripped from her hands.

This wasn't over, Kaiser.


Part 3   |   Fanfiction