Part Five


After leaving sight of the ruin capital of Kalmaart, Zel finally touched down onto a dirt trodden road as he pulled his hood and mask on. Ever since the fall of Kalmaart, the land had become corrupted and twisted, completely incapable of supporting life. This was more or less a result of the Banelich's involvement with everything. Most of the people that still lived in here were either loyal fanatical soldiers to AnCev or fearful people sealed up in their homes. So the roads that were once travel edfrequently in this merchant kingdom were now left empty.

AnCev's undead riders roamed along the countryside to deal with anyone that stumbled across their path. They were said to be dead knights brought back to life by the necromantic magic of AnCev and rode on skeletal steeds. Zel had stumbled onto a few of them when he originally came here to hunt down the Banelich and managed to take care of them easily.

He had been on this trail for some time now, over four months since the incident in the Barony of Louve. Four months, he had been dedicated to finding out who was responsible for this. He knew what all of this had to do with. The Play of Twilight. Zel had stumbled upon a tattered copy of it during his search for a cure and he originally paid little attention to it.

That was until things started to happen. Slowly some of the words on the pages he had started to read made sense as they perfectly recited words about what had already happen. The play was slowly displaying what was already going to happen. Though most of what was written was unreadable until after it occurred, sometimes a few sentences could be made out. Zel realized that potential in its power to maybe help show him where a cure might be in the future, but also in one of the texts, he had deciphered something else.

That sky will split open as the way is made clear.
As each piece falls into place, the time will come.
Both darkness and light will be banished to the earth as the rift comes.
Then the advent of Twilight will occur.

The Darkness and Light were direct correlation to the Mazoku and Ryuzoku from what Zel had learned from the Dark Star's prophesy. Whatever was going to happen, it was all coming to a climax and Zel knew there was no avoiding what it was. One of the pieces of the play stated that with Lina's death and rebirth, the final act would be upon them. So now it was up to him to save the world now?

"I wonder how I ever got dragged into this?" Zel remarked, scratching the back of his head.

"Because you understand something that only a few should be able to grasp," a voice called as Zel looked up to the source.

It was a falcon.

Looking up at the bird as he held out his arm, Zel said, "So that automatically slaps the job on me?"

"Sucks doesn't it?" the falcon sighed as she landed down on his arm. "The corruption to the land is already starting," she muttered as looked at the land around them.

That meant that it would be starting soon then.

"More than likely it's coming from the result of the dead arising?" Zel asked as the falcon did her best imitation of a shrug. Glaring at the bird, Zel threatened, "If you're hiding something from me, you'd better come clean before I pluck all the feathers from you."

"It's not time to tell you and besides I could kick your little butt from here to Saillune," the falcon warned as she tapped her wing on the side of his head. "Besides, only when the time is right can it finally be told to you. Any sooner and your poor little head might go pop because it was too much for your mortal comprehension."

Shrugging as he started to walk again, which nearly caused the falcon to lose her balance, Zel muttered, "So why are you really involved in this? I thought your job doesn't require you to look into more mortal affairs."

"Well, by our stipulations we can't get directly involved so we need a sort of gopher person," the falcon explained as Zel rolled his eyes. "You know go for this. Go for that. Pick up some bread and milk on your way back. A gopher."

"Somehow that doesn't fill me with pride," Zel retorted as the falcon merely glared at him. "Maybe I should just go back to my quest for a cure, it doesn't seem as hopeless as this," he pondered as the falcon stuck her head into his hood and snagged his ear, pulling it. "Ouch!" Zel yelled in pain swatting the falcon away as the hood came off. "What was that for?"

"Listen you jerk!" the falcon said in Zel's face. "You should know if this all goes down, there is a big chance everything goes boom and then what good is a cure when you're dead!" she stated as Zel rubbed his ear.

"You can be so temperamental," Zel said as he pulled his hood back on keeping an eye on his avian friend. "You act pretty out of it for someone of your status," Zel said as he fixed his sleeve. "Appearing as a bird?"

"This is merely a projection I'm using to advise you. You know as well as I do I can't directly involve myself with this." The falcon spat at Zel.

"Whatever," Zel said as he turned and walked off.

"Where are you going?" the falcon demanded as she flew after him.

"Grayfalcon," Zel answered her. "I need to stop Ynreut."

"Why didn't you do that before?" she inquired as she plopped onto his head.

"Because that would have given me away," Zel snapped as he tried to brush the falcon off. "You can be so annoying sometimes Valwin."

"Same goes for you, Stone Boy," Valwin retorted as the two walked off.

Things were going much faster than either she or Vrabazard had expected, they may have to push Zel even further. That Banelich was truly unexpected and that girl Lymafae was going to be more trouble for them. There wasn't much time with over three-fourths of the spell already completed now. All they needed now was to incite the last part to finish everything and bring down the Twilight.

They should have seen this coming a lot sooner then recently, the Mazoku and even the Demon King were not as much a threat as this play. Who ever wrote it must have been very powerful to ensure that everything would come out the way it did. Each part, every bit, would put a piece into the puzzle and when it was complete ...

Then the fate of everything will finally come to pass. Neither she nor Vrabazard have ever seen a complete copy of the text, even Hellmaster Fibrizo was said to have only partial papers. No one knew what would truly happen, but it was easy to guess about what might. Plus whoever was controlling this, if there was someone like Zel suspected, what was he after in all of this? Why did this play seem to be able transcend all boundaries?

What is the Twilight?


Part 6   |   Fanfiction