Episode 6: Darkness Smiles


"Well, I guess it has been some time since our last segment, right?" Jedah smiled cheerfully as he rubbed his chin. "Quite a bit has happened since our little encounter with that dreadful Mazoku Zeigram and I guess it's my job to bring you up to date. Well, you see-"

Jedah's statement was cut short as a slipper came slamming down on his head.

"What are you doing you idiot?" Lina muttered towering over him, slipper in hand.

Crying streams of tears, Jedah whined, "AAHHH!!! Old Lady Lina is being mean to me!" "Please help me," he cried as an aurora of hate started to surround Lina.

"Old Lady?" she repeated as stress marks appeared on her head. "That's it you little twerp, you are so dead this time!" Lina declared as she proceeded to pound furiously on Jedah with the slipper.

The sailors on the skiff on which they were traveling down the river all paused for a moment as they watch the spectacle that was going on at the stern of the ship. It had been little over an hour into the trip and those two were already tearing into each other. Groaning at the fuss that was being caused, the captain of the skiff turned from the steering wheel toward Val, who was sitting in a chair admiring the view.

Noticing the captain's gaze, Val remarked, "It is best to let those two go on. From my experience with them, they'll only cause more problems if you get in the way. The redhead especially,"

"Very well then," the Captain sighed as he turned his attention back to navigating the vessel trying to ignore the dust cloud before him. Looking up toward the sun, he estimated, "We are making good time so we'll be at the ruins around mid-day."

"Excellent," Val replied as he looked across toward the wild life along the bank of the river. "This place seems rather abundant with life; I take it few people come down this river?" he questioned as the Captain nodded.

"Yup, I'm one of only three people that navigate around this route. Most of the other locals avoid it due to the inherent danger that lies here. That was why your trip was delayed for so long, even I have reservations about coming down here, but the will of the Dragons and their gold is enough motivation for me."

"That is most reassuring," Val commented flatly. "It would become detrimental to the plans if we were delayed any more."

Chuckling a bit, the old man remarked, "I heard you and your group had quite an opening night at our fair port city. That place looked like a hurricane settled down on it."

"Merely problems that had to be dealt with. They simply pressed on us the urgency of our task." Val muttered darkly as his eyes narrowed. "Before I draw my last breath, I'll see that Mazoku dead at my feet," he sneered under his breath.

"I wish you luck on your journey at least." The Captain shook his head as he stared ahead. "Where is that blonde swordsman of yours anyway? I don't see him with the other two?" he noticed as Lina and Jedah had finally settled down.

"I think he is at the prow, don't worry about him. He just needs some time to think about stuff that has been going on recently," Val assured the Captain.

"Isn't he part of the Gabriev family? I remember them from back in my younger days as a naval officer for the Alliance Naval Fleet. Back when I barely had my sea legs, I could clearly remember the day that I met General Gabriev and-"

Val rolled his eyes as the Captain started off on a story of the old days. He quietly wished for this damn boat to go faster, he was certain that the delays that had been incurred due to those attacks when they arrived at Tivoras gave chances for his enemies among the ryuzoku to discover the true purpose behind his recent activities. It wouldn't matter what they discovered soon, all he need to do now was to get to the ruins and then all his suffering would be over.

"So do you have any ideas about why we are heading to these oh so mysterious ruins?" Jedah asked as he looked back toward Lina. "I mean, it was the entire reason for us coming here isn't it?" he added as Lina faced away from him.

"Well from what I researched on the place before we left Tivoras, there isn't much about it. It was once a city that used the extensive delta system here to flourish. However, it was burned and razed during the Kouma War and most of the surrounding area had been reduced to bog," Lina recanted from memory.

Scratching his head as he absorbed it all, Jedah muttered, "It doesn't seem clear what the Mazoku would have to do with some old ruins in a bog land. Were there any great magical schools or relics in that city prior to the Kouma War?"

"None that was recorded in the history journals, but they also might be purposely left vague." Lina sighed.

"Well, I can say for a fact I hate all the bugs here," Jedah grumbled swatting away another mosquito from his face.

"Yeah," Lina agreed brushing away some other bugs. "I'm surprise that after all the trouble that came down on us, when we first came here, it's been rather quiet as of recently." she reflected. "After that little Mazoku in the night, we haven't had a single other disturbance."

"You mean the freaky cloak guy with the glowing red eyes?" Jedah questioned.

Sweatdropping at Jedah's vague description, Lina muttered, "Yes."

"Well, maybe we scared them off?" he offered cheerfully. "Or maybe they are just holding back to wait for a more opportune time to strike." Jedah added with a more sinister smile.

"Don't be silly," Lina stated as she removed her elbow from where she had thrust it into Jedah's face. "This is serious stuff, I don't even get why Val took you along in the first place," she sighed as Jedah muttered something about Lina being so mean to him. "By the way, where is Gourry?" she wondered looking around.

"I think he was sitting in the back," Jedah moaned rubbing his face painfully.

"Thanks," Lina remarked as she got up and walked off.

Watching until Lina was out of sight, Jedah smiled as he chuckled to himself silently at how little Lina suspected of what was really going on around her. It would be really great to see her face when she realized just what Val was getting them into. But Jedah was content with playing the role of the clown until the time was right. He was certain that all of the players involved will be making this little production very interesting for him.

"Ouch," Jedah winced as another mosquito bit him. "I hate bugs."

Watching the receding wakes from the water as the skiff plowed down the river, Gourry sat in silent thought as he glanced at the sword in his hand. He was puzzled a bit by some of the recent events that had occurred. The recent transfer to this mysterious organization, as well as the discovery of the hidden form of his grandfather's blade, was quite a bit for this swordsman. In addition, Gourry couldn't help but feel that there was something not quite right with both his boss Val and cohort Jedah.

A loud roaring noise interrupted his thoughts. He first thought it was his, before he realized that it was coming from behind him. Turning around, he looked at the sheepish looking Lina who was scratching her head at her stomach's outburst.

"Hey, we haven't ate since we left the city," Lina remarked.

"You're always hungry," Gourry sighed as he turned out toward the river. "So why were you trying to sneak up on me?" he asked as Lina sat down next to him.

Shrugging, Lina replied, "Just seeing if you were paying attention to anything. So why are you sitting back here?"

"Just thinking about things," Gourry replied.

"Which is probably why you've been sitting here for so long," Lina smirked drumming her fingers on the deck. "You couldn't hold a thought in that jellyfish brain head of yours for a minute," she stated poking him in the forehead.

"And what makes you think that?" Gourry accused as Lina smiled.

"Because I can't even go on talking for even a minute without you falling asleep or such." Lina stated as Gourry blinked at the remark.

"That's because everything you say is so unimportant," he muttered under his breath.

"What was that?" Lina challenged growing horns and fangs.

Sweatdropping as he cringed at Lina's fury, Gourry hesitantly replied, "Nothing."

"Good," Lina said dropping her demon act, "Putting that last conversation aside, I want to ask you something important."

"What?"

"Can I have the Blast Sword?" Lina inquired pulling her best cute act on Gourry, sparkling stars in the background included.

Gourry cringed back as he stuttered, "What?"

"Come on, let me have the sword," Lina repeated holding out her hands. "That sword is a very powerful magical weapons and I'm that in my hands, I can utilize its full potential."

"You've got to be kidding me," Gourry cried hugging his sword protectively.

"You're right," Lina paused for a moment in thought.

Gourry let out a sigh of relief.

"I'll give you this shiny gold piece for it then," Lina offered him.

Gourry face-faulted onto the deck before he sprung up and yelled, "You just don't know when to stop do you?"

"Of course not, I wouldn't be where I am now if I did," Lina beamed proudly.

"Sitting on the back of skiff heading to a ruins for a undetermined purpose with a comedy troupe and trying to haggle a sword that holds sentimental value away from someone you just insulted a few moments ago with a single gold piece?" Gourry stated.

"Well, it doesn't sound that great if you say it like that," Lina complained as she put the shiny gold piece away. "You can be so stubborn some times."

"You too," Gourry muttered.

"I have good ears," Lina added as Gourry rubbed the bump on his head from where he was whacked.

"You never got to work on your people skills when you were in that magic academy did you?" Gourry asked.

"I have plenty of people skills; back in the academy I was the most popular person there," Lina beamed with pride.

"Liar," a bubble of the elf instructor from the school muttered.

Lina whacked the bubble away in frustration. It skidded off the water as it went sailing into the jungle overgrowth along the bank of the river.


Elsewhere, in the shattered reminisces of a large cathedral, amidst the rubble a rather ornate coffin lay undisturbed in the shadows of the room. Sunlight was filtering into the area through the shattered stain glass windows, creating several patterns against the floor. Zangulus paced furiously back and forth as his cloak flapped behind him as his boots crunched the gravel beneath his feet. Having been cooped up in this run-down place for the last few days have been absolutely nerve-wracking for the mercenary.

"When is he going to show up?" Zangulus yelled as his voice echoed throughout the structure. "It's been several days now and not one peep from him," he cursed angrily as he stomped up to the coffin and gave it a swift kick. "And all you do is sleep the whole day away!"

"I'm a Vampire, that is what we do." Vice muttered from within the coffin. "I must rest to regain my strength to roam around at night. Which isn't being helped by your constant rambling," he added with a scoff.

"Unlike the undead, the living tend to have a lot less patience," Zangulus growled as he sat down on the coffin. "How did you manage to walk around in the day back in the port city?" he inquired knocking on the top of the lid.

"An ancient enchantment that allows me to walk in the sunlight for one day, the only drawback is that it can only be use once a year."

"Swell," Zangulus rolled his eyes. "I hate waiting around here for him to show himself. Gourry is probably already at the ruins at this rate. I won't rest until I beat him."

"Do you have some sort of sick obsession or something with that dumb swordsman?" Vice muttered from the coffin.

"Don't be an idiot." Zangulus yelled slamming his fist down on the coffin. "That swordsman made a fool of me and I'll won't rest until he and I finish our little fight."

"Good luck, you having no sword and all," Vice criticized.

"Shut up," Zangulus muttered dejectedly.

Their discussion was interrupted as the sound of footsteps echoed throughout the place as Zangulus leaped off the coffin and reached for his sword. Finding none as he remembered what happened to it, he cursed silently as he turned to see the figure approaching him.

Garbed in complete white with a hooded cloak and a lower facemask drawn up, the figure just reeked of suspicion. A ruby gem clasp held his cloak together as blue metallic hair could be seen from underneath the hood. Coming to a stop a few feet in front of Zangulus, the two sized each other up, easier for Zangulus being a good two heads taller then the person. Not counting Zangulus' pointed scarecrow hat of course.

"What took you Boss?" Zangulus muttered crossing his arm.

"I had a prior engagement to deal with."

"The Mazoku you had us sic on the group was destroyed as you suspected it would be and also as you can tell, the fish man is dead." Zangulus reported as he kept his eye on his boss.

"It is of no importance to me," the boss said as he removed an ornate hilt from his cloak and held the hilt to Zangulus. "This sword will serve as a substitute to the one that you lost," he stated as Zangulus took the hilt.

"There's no blade attached," Zangulus commented inspecting the blade. "How the heck am I going to use it?" he demanded.

Chuckling, the boss replied, "Just focus your will into it."

For the lack of better reason, Zangulus complied as a blade of white energy emerged from the hilt as he exclaimed, "What in the world..."

"Behold the power of the Sword of Light, Gorun Nova."

"The legendary Sword of Light? Impossible." Zangulus stuttered looking at the gleaming blade. "This weapon was supposed to be in the custody of the Ryuzoku. How in the world did you get it, Zelgadiss?" Zangulus yelled.

The figure known as Zelgadiss almost smiled beneath the mask as he remarked, "I think it is time for a little rematch between you and the wielder of the Blast Sword to occur."

"What?" Zangulus muttered still in confusion.

"He will be your ally in this endeavor." Zel instructed as another figure came out of the shadow. "Dilgear is a wolf and troll hybrid." He introduced.

"So what is it that you want me to do?" Dilgear smiled, showing his canines, as he brushed his hand against his leather armor.

"Retrieve Lina Inverse for me," Zel ordered, "Our master, the Darkness, will use her to help him unleash his power on this realm."


aiChuRou sat in his office silently as he read over the minute by minute repot of Naga the White Serpent on her assignment. He spent most of his time studying the final segment dealing with her encounters in the port city of Tivoras. It did little to deny his concern of the possible action that the Ancient Dragon Val was doing. That ryuzoku was becoming a dangerous maverick in SaiChuRou's eye; the fool had no idea what he was doing.

he door to his office opened as Milgazia stepped inside, closing the door behind him as he stated, "As you request, I can inform you that Val and his group have reached the ruins."

utting the report down, SaiChuRou cursed, "I did not think that the fool would actually try this. He has gotten far more unstable than even I could have imagined, the hate that burns within him is going to cause greater damage then we could ever imagine."

That information was classified," Milgazia questioned.

He must have more resources then we assumed," SaiChuRou guessed rubbing his temple. "It was due to the secrecy of the place that we did not reveal where that Mazoku was imprisoned. Worse, he had to get Lina Inverse involve with this."

The girl that the oracle foretold about," Miligazia muttered. "Shouldn't we do something now to stop Val? If we don't, he could possible release something far worse then that Mazoku."

Our hands are tied on this event." SaiChuRou reminded Miligazia. "We learned that harsh lesson when we got involved in the Black Gate. The Plan must be allowed to play itself out, we can not interfere with the current event openly."

odding understandingly, Miligazia offered, "What if we were to send someone else to insure at least Lina Inverse's safety?"

Perhaps," SaiChuRou reflected, "but we must tread carefully."

Yes, I'll have someone sent right away," Milgazia remarked as he turned to leave.

"Actually, I've already had a person in mind." SaiChuRou interrupted. "Someone whom I'm sure can weather in the fury of that Mazoku."

"I see," Miligazia remarked as he understood whom SaiChuRou was referring to.

"She will be contacted immediately," SaiChuRou stated.


"Whoa, this place is huge," Jedah commented as he stepped off the skiff.

"That's an understatement," Lina remarked as she came off after him.

"No, you are." Jedah replied only to get an elbow in the ribs.

Gourry just shook his head as the two started to bicker again as Val came down from the skiff after him, standing before the rubble gateway to the ruin. The crumbling stone structure had been greatly eroded by the effect of the surrounding bog. Despite the decrepit look of the place, there was a dark atmosphere to the entire place.

Looking at the ruins silently, Val smiled to himself. Soon he will finally be able to find peace; soon he will have his revenge.

Meanwhile deep within the ruin itself, another presence detected their coming and smiled contentedly in the darkness.


Episode 7   |   Fanfiction