Heartbreaker


Notes

The song is from AD Police Files OVA. If you want to hear it, just go to this link: http://theria.simplenet.com/slayers/heartbreaker.ra

Unfortunately, a Real Audio version was the only one I could find. Hmm, now that I think about it, maybe you should listen to it if you can. It might make the story go smoother. shrug


You better watch out
What he says or what he does...

From when she was very young, Filia could remember her elders warning her of the devious Mazoku. They were never to be trusted, in word or deed, especially one in particular. The one whose hands were stained with the blood of thousands of Gold Dragons.

Don't take a chance on him
So you won't end up like trash.

She was never to let down her guard against a Mazoku. They could teleport as easily as she could. Their power and cruelty were never to be underestimated nor should their words be taken at face value.

Don't fall for his trap,
'Cause he'll get you down flat.

She knew how true the words of her teachers were. The very first Mazoku she ever met had to be IT, the nemesis of her people. True it looked human, didn't seem very powerful or even Mazoku-like, but she could sense the chilling emanations that marked it for what it was.

He's broken a thousand hearts,
So play it smart.

Its human guise worked well. It probably did work well against humans who couldn't sense his evil. So many had died by its hands, lives and hearts shattered into thousands of pieces. Filia wouldn't become one of its victims. She knew better.

Take my advice,
Don't you play his kind of game.

She shouldn't get riled by its taunts, its constant presence, its annoying insincere smile. But it rubbed her the wrong way ALL the time. And it knew it too. It knew it could press her buttons, cause her to lose the self-composure of one born to her station. Always she would lose her temper, calling it names, and batting at it with her mace. And always it would just be smiling that infuriating smile.

He knows every trick in the book,
So beware of his dirty schemes.

There wasn't anything it wouldn't dare try just for a laugh or some other perverse reason. Filia didn't understand how the others could just tolerate its presence with them. They knew it was Mazoku but just accepted it like that was nothing important in the world. Perhaps it had charmed them somehow. But no matter what, she would be alert, ready to counter any idea or suggestion it made.

He'll use you helplessly,
Then all you get is sympathy.

Damn it! Why couldn't she anticipate it? Always, always, always it was baiting her. Sometimes it seemed angry when she argued with it and called it names. But who knew what a Mazoku really thinks? It was using her, using all of them to further its secret agenda. And no one but her seemed to care!

Don't throw your life away.
Oh, can't you see?

What? What is it after? Why did it divert the blast from them? Why did it save her when one of Val Gaav's attacks came to close? Why did she help it? Why was she worried when Val Gaav nearly cut it in half?

He's a heartbreaker!
He's going to break your heart!
Girl, he's gonna tear your life apart!

It is a Mazoku! It destroyed thousands of her people, nearly wiping out the Gold Dragons that served the Water Dragon God. It was making her go insane, always making her lose her composure and cool, making her act more like a Mazoku than it!

He's a heartbreaker!
He's going to break your heart!
Girl, he's gonna tear your life apart!

He doesn't care for anything but what his master orders. He has no heart, he isn't even remotely human. He only feels pleasure from pain, suffering, sorrow, anger. He only pays attention to her because of the enmity they share. That's all. He doesn't care about her at all!

Listen to the words I say,
Before you find out it's too late.

When did Filia begin thinking of him as "him" and not "it"? When did she begin to worry when he didn't appear? Her teacher's words came back to her. The Mazoku are the Ryuzoku's enemies. She had forgotten.

You're in danger, so be clever,
Be careful, watch his stare.

She was in very deep trouble. If anyone ever realized that she had fallen in love with that namagomi...The Ryuzoku would be shocked and angered. Filia would face death, or even worse exile. It was utterly blasphemous that this could happen. She had no idea how he would act. Probably delight in torturing her even more. Perhaps he already knew. He was watching her with that closed eye look of his.

Don't look into those cheating eyes,
That sweet talkin' lies.

Filia knew she was blowing up at the drop of a hat. But she was so desperate to keep everyone from knowing that she would immediately launch into a temper tantrum whenever he was around. She missed him when he was gone but that was better than him being here. Those dark violet eyes, that seductive voice...they were driving her mad.

He'll make you out for a fool,
So play it cool.

He'd only laugh at her if he knew. Maybe he already did. Mazoku could sense emotions couldn't they? Perhaps that was why he always baited her, to feed on her confusion and despair. If he ever appeared before her again, Filia would have to control herself, keep her emotions from leaking from her.

He's a heartbreaker!
He's going to break your heart!
Girl, he's gonna tear your life apart!

He wouldn't need to take her life to kill her. Filia's heart was already being torn apart just as her mind and life. She was Ryuzoku, he was Mazoku. She should hate him, not love him.

He's a heartbreaker!
He's going to break your heart!
Girl, he's gonna tear your life apart!

"Oh Ceiphied please help me forget him. Forget the one that is breaking my heart by his presence, his absence, his very existence. How much longer can I live like this, being pulled in two different directions by my heart and mind."

Don't look into those cheating eyes,
That sweet talkin' lies.

He was back again. Filia sniffed, turning her head as if there was some unpleasant stench in the air. The truth couldn't be any further but she couldn't look into his eyes. She ranted on and on about devious evil Mazoku, if only to keep him from getting a word in with his charming tongue.

He'll make you out for a fool,
So play it cool.

She could feel her temper rising again but it wasn't directed at him as much as herself. Why couldn't she just bury these emotions? Why couldn't she just ignore him? Why couldn't he leave her alone?

He's a heartbreaker!
He's going to break your heart!
Girl, he's gonna tear your life apart!

As usual she pulled out her mace and swatted at him right in the chest. If he had been human or humanoid, that would have crushed his heart. But Mazoku didn't have hearts. She was a hopeless romantic to believe otherwise.

"If you're aiming for my heart, you're hitting the wrong spot," he smiled, appearing behind her.

Filia nearly shrieked. He was too close! "Well then would you be so kind as to direct me in the right direction," she spat, trying to cover her retreat from him.

He leaned in close, his eyes open, and whispered, "It's you."

Filia's mind was screaming at her to back away before something happened. Hit him with the mace, hit him with a spell, anything. If she let him do this, it would result in nothing but heartbreak. She'd never be able to go back to her old life.

But her old life was gone the minute she realized she loved him, her heart whispered, as Filia leaned forward to kiss Xelloss.


Fanfiction