I Will Protect You


"Why? How could this happen?" Amelia sobbed. "Why did you have to...to..."

Die?

"I can't believe it..." Filia whispered, looking at the tombstone.

"What's there not to believe?" Zelgadiss said flatly, his face hidden within the deep folds of his hood. "There's a dead body in a coffin buried under several feet of dirt and the disturbance is marked by a large flat piece of stone."

"Zelgadiss-san! How can you be so harsh?" Amelia continued to cry.

...that's right. He liked to think he couldn't feel.

"..."

But that wasn't true...Inside, he's always torn up and raw.

"How can Lina-san just...die like that?"

"Humans have such short lives. A brightly burning flame that goes out with just the right gust of wind."

"I'm not speaking to you, Namagomi."

Even now...they argue. No respect for the dead.

"Gourry-sama?" Sylphiel gently placed a hand on the kneeling swordsman shoulder.

"She can't be..."

Dead?

"Not from something like this..."

"It isn't the first time someone has died in their sleep."

That's true.

"But not Lina!" Gourry slammed his fist on the tombstone. "Lina can't die like this! After everything, how can she just go to sleep and not wake up!"

I'm surprised...he can actually tell the difference.

"It's a fact of life, Gourry. Get over it."

"Shut up! Like you even care, Zelgadiss!"

"Gourry-san, that wasn't fair. Zelgadiss-san cares too!"

"Gourry-sama, let's go."

"And you! I bet you're just happy that Lina is finally gone so you can have me all to yourself!"

"I never expected that one to become so unhinged by a single death."

"It's your influence, isn't it Namagomi! Stop whatever you're doing to Gourry-san!"

"I'm not doing anything."

"Of course, you're not doing anything," Gourry snorted. "You're probably the one that killed her. Who knows what Mazoku can do?"

"Why would I kill her?"

"Because you're scared of her. Or you're jealous of her. Or you don't want anyone else to have her. I don't know! Someone had to have killed her! She just couldn't..."

Die.


Soon, the former traveling companions left in the fog of empty accusations and heated words. Ties were broken, trust was destroyed. And all for one thing.

"They're gone now."

One person remained, standing on the hillock, silvery like the light of the full moon shining down on the lone tombstone.

"Lina Inverse," the person read mockingly. "Dear friend, trusted companion, ally of justice. Died this day peacefully in her bed."

...

"What? Nothing to say to that?"

...why?

"On this night of All Soul's Eve, they say dark magic is at its strongest. The spirits of those who died during the past year travel during this one night to find a body to possess before being pulled into the final place of death."

Why did you do this?

"Haven't you guessed?"

...

"No more smart remarks? I'm hurt."

He pulled out the unpolished uncut gem from his pocket.

"You don't like your new home?"

Why?

"That's simple," the person said, fingers curling tightly around the gem and the flickering soul within. "I made a promise. I wouldn't let anything touch you. I wouldn't let anyone hurt you. You're all mine now. And I will protect you."


Fanfiction