Shocked Awake


Ranma's original plan to find some place to do a little light training changed as he hopped past the abandoned lot that had seen so many things over the past year. Right now it held a young woman about his own age, dressed in a formal white kimono and gripping a piece of glinting metal in her hand.

He veered off from his course and landed lightly behind the woman. This close he found it easy to identify her, even in the lightless dark of the night. Suddenly he was half-wishing that he had gone on past her. He couldn't do that, though. Not considering the knife in her hand and the clean white kimono she was wearing.

"Hey, Kodachi," Ranma said, surprising her. "Whatcha doing?"

"Ranma-sama," Kodachi said. "How is your wife?"

"She's visiting Kasumi and Tofu for the weekend," Ranma said. "What are you doing?"

"I see," Kodachi said. "Her other sisters are at the Kuno Estate, Nabiki and my brother are housing them."

"You mean Natsume and Kurumi?" Ranma asked.

"Yes," Kodachi said, wistfully. "Natsume is there. I left a note to explain my apology to her."

"What do you need to apologize to her about?" Ranma asked. "Is that why you're out here?"

"This is a private matter, Ranma-sama," Kodachi said. "I am certain the whole of the truth will be told to you later."

"What are you doing?" Ranma repeated, edging closer.

"I suppose I should settle my affairs with you," she sighed. "My apologies to you Ranma-sama."

"What exactly for?" Ranma asked. He wondered briefly if he could get the knife before Kodachi could effectively use it.

"I never loved you," Kodachi said quietly.

"What?!" Ranma said in shock. He winced and reminded himself not to get angry, at least not until he had gotten the knife away from her.

"Well I did, but I didn't," Kodachi said. "When the curse was revealed that made it clear."

"This isn't about me is it?" Ranma asked. "I didn't do anything to you did I?"

"No, Ranma-sama," Kodachi said. "You are not to blame."

"Then what is the problem?" Ranma asked.

"I needed you," Kodachi said simply. "To make everything right. And when I learned of your curse I was convinced everything was.

"What's this got to do with my curse?" Ranma asked. Almost close enough.

"It was no longer important that I pursue you. Especially as you'd already been claimed," Kodachi sighed. "And there was always somebody else willing to attend to me."

"Did something happen between you and your last boyfriend?" Ranma asked. Kodachi had had a string of them after he had married Akane. He forgot the name of the man she was currently seeing. Actually he wondered if even Kodachi knew them all.

"But I was wrong," she continued. "And there truly is no way to escape the fact this time. My corruption has been completed."

"What are you talking about?" Ranma demanded, edging a little closer. It was, appropriately enough, a knife's edge. She'd be inclined to explain if she still held the knife. If he took it, she would be angry and trying to get it back. He just didn't know for sure how much he could learn before she went ahead and stabbed.

"All that remains for me to do is to purify the Kuno name, here," she said. "Where Hell first arranged to have me damned. When I gave you that first, single rose." Ranma looked around and finally realized something.

"This is where we first met," Ranma said.

"Please leave Ranma-sama," Kodachi said. "I must do this before I bring further shame on the Kuno name."

"What did you do?" Ranma asked carefully.

"I couldn't help it," Kodachi said shakily, her grip on the knife tightening. "There was no one home except me and..." She sighed and turned to Ranma. "Natsume is very beautiful, and her choice of training attire is...quite inviting."

"Your boyfriend was looking at her or something?" Ranma asked, knowing Kodachi's possessive jealous streak. "You didn't do anything to Natsume did you?"

"I kissed her," Kodachi said with a twist of self-disgust. Ranma stared at Kodachi in surprise. "And...and...she's sleeping in my bed right now."

"You and Natsume," Ranma said, shocked. "Had sex?"

"You see why this must done," Kodachi said quietly.

"Bullshit," Ranma said, snatching the knife away from Kodachi. He stepped away from her quickly.

"Ranma-sama," Kodachi shouted standing up and facing Ranma. "Give that back, I need that."

"No you don't," Ranma snapped back. "You need to wake up."

"I have woken up!" Kodachi shouted. "That is why I am here! Before I bring further shame to the clan."

"Like hell," Ranma insisted, he took the knife and snapped the blade off.

"NOO!!" Kodachi screamed as he tossed the sharp edge into the night. "Do you so truly hate me? I'm an aberration...I..." She slumped to the ground and started crying. Ranma sighed and picked her up, jumping to the rooftops, finally landing with his sobbing charge in front of the Kuno estate.

He set Kodachi down, and the noblewoman stood off to the side resignedly. Eventually an irritated Nabiki responded to Ranma's knocking.

"Saotome," Nabiki said wearily. "It's three o'clock in the morning, what are you...is that Kodachi?"

"She was in the lot with a knife," Ranma said.

"What?" Nabiki said, waking up. Ranma saw someone behind her. "Why?"

"Ask her," Ranma said. "Or her." He nodded his head past Nabiki. His sister-in-law turned to see a rather anxious looking Natsume. At least as anxious as the serious woman ever got.

Kodachi looked up and saw Natsume before glancing down in shame. Nabiki noticed the exchange and arched an eyebrow.

"Okay," Nabiki said. "I'll keep an eye on her, thanks Ranma. Shiro would be devastated if anything happened to Aunty Kodachi."

"I should not..." Kodachi whispered.

"Oh be quiet," Nabiki said. "You've saved me hundreds on babysitting the last three years. Come on, let's get you some tea." She started to lead Kodachi into the estate.

"The Tendo cure-all," Ranma said, smiling. "A cup of tea." He faced Natsume for a moment. "Be careful where you go from here."

"I did not know about this," Natsume said.

"Just be careful," Ranma said firmly. "I'll check up on her tomorrow." He closed the door and started walking home.


Anime@Fan.Fic