Shall We Begin


Notes

Shall We Begin by Brian McKnight.


I remember the day when we
First met
We both got caught in the rain
And we were soaking wet
I looked in your eyes
You gave me a smile
You told me your name
You told me about your career
I told you about, my hopes, my dreams,
My fears
We had some laughs
One month has past
Tonight can't you stay

"Zel check this out! This guy says he has the biggest ..." Zelgadis placed a hand over Lina's mouth quickly before she could finish.

"Lina just HOW many wines have you been sampling" she answered his question by the way she giggled and began to count her fingers.

"Calm yourself Zel I only had a few, I'm still sane. Come on! The dance is this way in the center of town where they usually set up the market."

Zel allowed Lina to drag him along; he didn't really mind; it took his mind off of things. He could sum up all his troubles with just one name...Amelia...he wasn't sure what it was that he felt for the princess. Love maybe...

"Here we are! Ohhh they're playing a slow one lets dance!" Lina was practically chirping as she pulled him closer to the crowded lit up area.

Zel merely shook his head exasperated as he led Lina to a clear spot and pulled her in close. "You're going to regret drinking so much in the morning."

"No I wont you worry about things to much Zel. Just let things come as they are."

Sighing in defeat he began to sway along with the music, not bothering with the proper steps as Lina seemed to be content. He was a little surprised that they weren't getting looks from the other couples; Lina had practically demanded that he take off his hooded cape or she would go burn all of his capes including the one in his hand. The music was actually a soothing tune, he didn't notice as his arms tightened bringing Lina in closer to his own body. His mouth began to move along to the words of the song as he lowered his head so that his cheek rested alongside of Lina's.

Now that
The time is feeling just right
Candles burnin' turnin' out the lights
Anticipate the feeling of your skin
Shall we begin
Hit repeat and let the music play
Until the night turns into day
Open-up your heart and let me in
Shall we begin

Zel was content to just stay where he was...it was comfortable dancing with Lina. But soon enough the music slowed to it's final beat and the song was over.

Lina peered up at him her eyes slightly wide and her cheeks flushed "Zel..."

"Mr. Zelgadis! There you are, you promised me a dance and the nights almost over!" Amelia latched onto Zel's arm and pulled him to another part of the dance floor.

"Ano...I guess that means we have to dance together" Gourry scratched his head in thought.

"Not in this life-time jellyfish for brains!" Lina punted Gourry over to the refreshment stand. Now to find a nice comfortable spot for a nap. Spotting a bench set up in the corner she fried the kissing couple and took the bench over for herself.

Zel swayed to the music Amelia's head resting upon his chest. This was where he got excited right, this was exactly where he wanted to be right...right? This was the chance he had been waiting for ...so what was stopping him. He peered down and was instantly confronted with warm blue eyes. Something was wrong...it wasn't the same as when he had been dancing with ...

"Didn't Lina look pretty tonight Mr. Zelgadis"

"Yes she did." Was that what was bothering him. Spending the majority of the night with Lina had been fun...matter of fact he hadn't thought of Amelia throughout that whole time. He was in love with Amelia wasn't he...or was he. He stared into Amelia's eyes; gently reaching his hand down he cupped her cheek.

"What..."

Zel leaned down and planted a kiss gently upon her lips. He leaned back up and peered into Amelia's wide eyes and blushing face. He suddenly smiled, and hugged Amelia tightly. "Amelia thank you for everything, you've been a great friend"

"What? Where are you going!" but she was too late as Zel disappeared into the crowd.

Zel walked around for a good twenty minutes until he found Gourry. "Gourry have you seen Lina" Gourry's answer was to point a chicken leg in the direction of a weeping willow slightly tilted over a stone bench.

Pushing his way through the crowd he stopped by the bench. Lina lay curled up on the bench her soft red hair curling about her cheeks. Pulling his cloak from his pack he draped it over Lina's form, she was beautiful. Why hadn't he noticed it before...so Xellos was actually right about something. Seating himself on the ground before the bench he laid his forearms upon the head of the bench. Resting his head upon his arms he gazed at the sleeping sorceress. So I miscalculated, everyone makes mistakes.


Fanfiction