Chapter 3: YIKES! Who's This Girl?


She stared at him, unsure of what to do or think. He was obviously having some flashback of a reoccurring dream..... and whatever had happened, she wasn't in contact with his mind any more. She sighed and crossed her legs in thought, watching his face go through different expressions that she never thought she would see on the Mazoku's face. Lina frowned slightly, not sure what to think. After Xelloss had vanished following their final battle with Hellmaster, she'd wondered where he'd been. It had been several months since then, and she found herself wondering what he'd been doing, and what the life of a Mazoku might be like. Lina sighed, rubbing her head to rid herself of the headache, and stood up. "I'm going in to town for a bit guys." She said walking towards the door. "I'll be back in a bit."

Gourry looked up from polishing his sword. "Uh, ok. I think I'll stay here and get some rest." He grinned lopsidedly at her, and Lina felt her cheeks redden suddenly in a burst of emotion. She quickly glanced away, trying to keep the burning blush down, when Amelia snatched her arm. "I'll go with you Miss Lina!" She piped eagerly.

Lina sweatdropped slightly and nodded, having wished that she could turn the young princess down..... "Right. Let's go then." She exited the inn with Amelia by her side, and they both walked down the crowded market street, gazing at booths and stalls in interest. They spent a good half hour looking around, and the whole time Lina was distracted and slightly aloof. Amelia had asked her constantly if she was feeling all right, and she knew that the princess was worried about her since her mind was back on what she'd seen from Xelloss. She kept insisting that everything was fine, but Amelia didn't seem to be fooled.

They had started heading back towards the inn, when Lina's attention was drawn to a figure walking just ahead of them. Her eyes widened at seeing the familiar purple hair and long black cloak. She burst ahead of Amelia in a sudden rush, and snatched the tall figure by the shoulder and thrust him against the wall with a strong force. "WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU DOING OUT OF BED???!!!" She barked at him, her eyes narrowed in anger. "Even you shouldn't be out this quick, what the hell are you pulling on us now Xelloss?" She snarled in fury, glaring up into his face with narrowed burning red eyes.

Amelia had quietly come up behind her and was standing there with a fist in front of her mouth, and wide eyes. Curious passer-by's glanced over, but left them alone, since it was a large city and events like this were frequent.

Lina was shaking him hard against the wall when Amelia's voice came tentatively from behind her. "Uh.... Miss Lina...?" When it was apparent that Lina was too worked up to hear her, Amelia tugged on Lina's cloak and spoke louder in a more forward voice. "Miss Lina! That's not Mr. Xelloss! It's a woman!"

"I don't give a care if it's not...." Lina froze and blinked in surprise, the words registering a bit late. "What...?" She asked, glancing up at the figure and blinking once or twice, then fastening her eyes on the person's chest.

Sure enough, the person was quite obviously female......

Lina glanced up curiously and noted the woman's features in some surprise. She had the same color hair as Xelloss but it was pulled into a braid falling down to her waist over her shoulder, her face shape was almost a match, but her eyes were a bright golden color rather than amethyst. She was slender and about the same height and wore a black cloak, but her outfit beneath it was a tight pair of black pants with high calf length black boots, and she had a tight bodice that was laced down the front that was a deep crimson velvet trimmed in silver lining. She also wore a loose off-white blouse beneath the bodice, and a deep blue sapphire hung on a sliver chain around her neck.

Lina slowly let go of the woman, and backed up embarrassed. "Erm.... I'm sorry about that.... I thought you were someone else..." She was internally cursing herself for making such an embarrassing mistake, but at the same time she was staring at the woman's unique resemblance to the Trickster Priest. It was almost uncanny....

The woman brushed her shoulders off, keeping a wary eye on Lina in distrust. "That's all right..." She said in a soft mellow voice, her golden eyes darting back and forth examining them.

Lina bowed in apology. "I'm really sorry..... I guess I should actually look to see whom I'm chasing after..." She laughed in a nervous manner, trying to brush off her embarrassment.

The woman just gave her a curious look and shrugged lightly. "Who did you think I was?" She asked glancing at Amelia and smiling lightly, receiving a smile in return.

"Oh, no one, just a..... an acquaintance of ours who was just wounded.... I thought you were him up and about of bed, and was.... disturbed." Lina said with a shrug. "I hope you're not injured."

The woman shook her head. "No, though I might have some nice bruises in the morning." She added wryly. "Well, it was a pleasure to make your acquaintance, however briefly, Miss..." She hesitated glancing at Lina in question.

"Ah, Lina Inverse." Lina said offering a hand in greeting. "And this is Amelia." She said gesturing to the shorter girl beside her.

The woman shook their hands while nodding. "I'm Zallia." She returned. "Lina Inverse? I've heard of you... the mighty sorceress who defeated Hellmaster and the Dark Lord Shabranigudo." Her tone was respectful and interested, her thin eyebrows arching in question.

Lina grinned lopsidedly. "Yeah, I guess I've been around a bit." She shrugged. "It's nice to make your acquaintance Zallia."

The three headed back towards the main street, and Zallia continued along with them.

"So, are you as powerful as the rumors say, Lina-san?" Zallia asked politely.

Lina shrugged. "You betcha!" She grinned from ear to ear practically glowing.

Amelia ran up beside Zallia and grinned. "She's the most powerful sorceress in this world at least!" She said enthusiastically. "Do you work in magic?" She asked curiously looking up at her with wide eyes.

Zallia laughed softly. "Yes, I do." She said with a smile at Amelia. "I'm a fairly skilled magician myself..."

Lina nodded at her, and they rounded the bend of the street and stopped in front of the inn.. "Well, it was nice meeting you, no hard feelings..." She smiled and shook Zallia's hand again. "We're staying here."

Zallia looked up at the inn with a wistful interested look on her face. "Lina-san, do you mind if I have a look at this injured person who so closely resembles me?" She glanced back down to meet Lina's curious and suspicious eyes. "If you don't mind..."

Lina frowned slightly, glanced at Amelia who shrugged in reply, and nodded. "Sure, I suppose there's no problem with that." She turned around and led them into the inn, and entered their room. "We're back Gourry."

Gourry was snoring away on the bed, sprawled across it haphazardly, and oblivious to the world. Lina smiled quietly to herself, and then pointed at the other bed where Xelloss still lay. "There he is."

Zallia walked over to the bedside and stared down at him. Amelia stood by her side, and glanced over at Xelloss to see that his wounds were healing much faster now, and his face was once again a monotone expressionless mask, revealing nothing of what the Trickster was thinking anymore. Zallia was rubbing her chin thoughtfully, staring down at him with a slight frown on her face. Lina noticed this and walked over to her. "What's wrong?" She glanced down at Xelloss, finding nothing out of sorts, so to speak.

She shook her head and glanced back at Lina. "How was he injured this way?"

Lina shrugged and crossed her arms. "Beats me. We found him worse than this, he's managed to heal a bit since."

Zallia frowned. "He's not human." It was more of a statement than a question.

Lina glanced down at him. "Yeah, that's right. He's Mazoku."

"Aren't Mazoku powerful though?"

"Well.... Yeah. Especially him, so we've been told."

Zallia looked thoughtful and didn't speak for a while, so Lina broke the ice. "Why did you want to see him?"

Zallia sighed. "It's a complicated issue....." she said trailing off. "Let's just say.... I'm looking for someone, and he might be the clue I need."

Lina nodded slightly, not pressing it, but curious. "Sou ka...." She glanced back at the others, to see Amelia sitting on the other bed doodling on some paper. "What do you plan to do now?"

Zallia glanced at her. "If it wouldn't be too much trouble, I'd like to stay and talk to him when he wakes up.... If that's all right. I can pay for my lodging and food and give you some money for your trouble if you'd like." She pulled out a sack full of gold coins, and Lina's eyes positively sparkled.

"Yesyesyesyes!" Lina snatched the bag greedily.

THWAP

Amelia handed the bag back to Zallia as the woman sweatdropped. "I'm sorry... you don't have to pay us, we'd be glad to have your company!" She smiled, and Zallia returned the smile gratefully.

"Domo, Amelia-san." She said bowing slightly. "Your very generous."

Amelia smiled brightly. "It's the just and true thing to do!" This only made Zallia laugh, a light joyous sort of laugh.

Lina yawned. "Oi, how about catching something to eat? I'm starved."

At the mention of food, Gourry sat up instantly, his eyelids sliding open. "Huh? Food? Where?"

They all laughed, and made their way down to the inn below to eat. They seated themselves at the table, and everyone but Zallia promptly ordered triple portions of everything, while Zallia was left staring blankly at them in astonishment. Once everyone had started digging in, no word was said as they devoured their food. Zallia just watched and ate casually, quite amused by their antics.

Once the ravenous group had finished and was leaning back casually in their chairs, patting their full bellies, a casual conversation began as the inn began to empty for the night. "So," Lina began, "Tell us something about yourself Zallia."

She looked up from her tea, her golden eyes wide. "Pardon? Me?" She blinked uncertainly. "Uh...."

Amelia grinned at her. "Yes, where do you come from?"

She blinked, then sighed quietly and set her tea down, looking deep in thought. "Well..." She began quietly. "I was raised for the most part by some friends of my father after he dropped me off to them.... So I grew up with them, and we traveled around from village to village quite a bit."

Lina grinned. "That must have been quite exciting for you. Why did they travel so much?"

Zallia shrugged indifferently. "I guess... I got to see new places and tour the countryside, but I never had the chance to really make friends and stuff, we were always moving....." She glanced up hesitantly, her eyes shadowed in the light slightly. "The reason we moved wasn't a pleasant one.... We were usually driven out of the villages....the people didn't like us..."

The others grew solemn. "Why? You seem to be a very nice person." Gourry said bluntly.

She sighed. "Well.... Let's just say.... They didn't' like the kind of people that my foster parents were.... And therefore it reflected on me too...."

The others exchanged glances of distaste. "That's horrid." Amelia said softly. "No one should have to live through that. It isn't right."

She shrugged silently and sipped her tea with her eyes closed. "It's in the past....no need to think back on it."

Lina changed the subject before things could get too uncomfortable. "You said you knew magic. What kinds do you specialize in?"

She frowned in thought. "Umm.....well I guess Black magic would be my strongest specialty.... Though I know some of each branch as well."

Lina nodded in excitement. "What level?"

She shrugged. "I don't know..... I know the more complex spells if that's what you're asking."

Lina nodded in agreement. "I see. Were your parents..." Her words were cut off as the door to the inn burst open, revealing a figure in all white standing there.

Everyone instantly jumped to their feet and shouted in one voice. "ZELGADIS!"

The figure seemed to shrink, but made his way to the table and took a seat. Lina was fuming. "You IDIOT! Why did you wander off??"

Zel shrugged and pulled his mask and hood off looking nonchalant. "You know the reason."

Lina growled a low menacing sound. "That's no excuse."

Zel shrugged, and threw Zallia a suspicious glare. "Who're you?" His eyes seemed to bore into her sharply, and she cringed under his gaze.

"I...I'm Zallia..." She managed timidly.

Lina thwaped Zel on the head, and shook her hand in pain regretting the action. "Be polite Zel, she's a friend."

He stared at her with a piercing gaze, then ignored her completely. "Where is he?"

Lina snorted. "Up in bed you idiot. Now you'd better stop acting like a child. He's not going to harm you, and like it or not, he has helped us out a few times. We owe it to him not to let him die, and you'd better acknowledge that Zel."

He simply stood up and headed up towards the stairs. "I'll be in the room."

The others stared at him with some bafflement, and sighed among themselves. Lina stood up. "I think it's time we retired. We'll sort this all out in the morning." Everyone stood up and headed back to the room, with Zallia picking up the trailing end. They entered, and got ready for bed, then took their respective beds, with Gourry and Lina sharing, Amelia in one, and Zelgadis on the floor. Zallia looked around, and seeing no spare blankets or beds, she sat herself in the corner and wrapped her cloak around herself for warmth, and laid her head on her knees with a small sigh. The candles were put out, and soon the sound of heavy breathing filled the room. But she couldn't sleep.... No matter how tired she was, her eyes remained open, gleaming slightly in the darkness. She glanced around and saw everyone deep in their own slumbers. A sadness filled her heart, and a small tear trickled down her cheek and she lowered her head, sobbing quietly and silently in the darkness.

Zelgadis lifted his head slightly, hearing a soft sound, and glanced over, squinting in the dark, to see Zallia hugging her legs and shaking slightly. He felt a twinge in his heart at hearing her soft sobs, and suddenly overwhelming guilt flooded him. He got up quietly, holding his blanket, and walked over to her, then dropped the blanket by her feet. She looked up startled, her golden eyes glowing slightly in the darkness, gleaming with tears. She looked startled and slightly afraid of him, and he just turned around and walked to bed silently, laying back down and rolling over. She stared after him, watching his breaths rise and fall, then slowly picked up the blanket and wrapped it around herself, burying herself inside of it in a small ball. Eventually, she fell asleep, strange thoughts of confusion floating through her head.


Chapter 4   |   Fanfiction