Prologue: Once Upon a Time


It's cold. It's wet.

Don't care.

Cold cold cold.......

Impassionately, young eyes peek out from soggy bangs and looked over the barren surroundings....there is no life here. The decaying rot that passed for trees held no leaves, all was silent; even the wind that brought the cold.

Once upon a time, there lived a young princess...

Chocking back another sob, she brought her head down to her bent knees, the soft mud seeping into her once bright yellow dress.

Who was very sad...

Cold, wet, but don't care. She honestly didn't care - her world was gone. Her parents - the people who promised to always be there where...

For her mother and father had died.

squish Behind her, feet tried (with little success) to sneak up on her in the soggy mud. Slowly, she turned and gazed at the intruders with seemingly no emotion at all. Their faces-no. Can't see their faces...

But that didn't really matter.

She knew what the faceless men wanted. They where going to hurt her. She didn't have to see their faces to know that.

But she didn't really care.

So she just waited.

Before the princess appeared a traveling prince.

As the men reached for her, there was a flash of light and their offensive hands where immediately severed from the rest of their perverse flesh.

Who?.... Her savior stood in front of her protectively, sword glinting in the light.

Light?

But there was no light here. There was no break in the clouds...where did the light come from? And why was it so bright? Screaming and clutching their bleeding wrists. the intruders ran off into the night.

It was night wasn't it?

He had a regal bearing and a kind smile.

"Are you all right?" He asked with genuine concern.

As if she had been shaken awake, the girl snapped, mentally and emotionally. "Of course not." She said icily, rising to her feet, head still bowed. "My parents are dead I almost got attacked. HOW CAN I BE OKAY YOU YOGURT-BRAINED JERK!?!?!!"

He wrapped the princess in a rose-scented embrace and gently wiped the tears from her eyes

"You poor thing," he murmured, drawing her close. Her anger immediately drifted away as her mind became syrupy from welcoming the closeness and comfort of another.

Warm...soft...elevation.

As he gently pushed her away, she slowly opened her eyes; gazing at the young man who held her at arm's length.

When had it stopped raining?

Was it ever raining?

So bright, the sun - wait, was he the sun? Why can't she quite see his face? She couldn't see his face, but she could see gold. All around them, a beautiful golden light, soft and warm.

This was no ordinary man.

This was a prince. A beautiful and glorious prince.

"Little one, " he said, "growing up alone in such deep sorrow, never lose that strength or nobility, even when you've grown"

What was that fairy tale her mother used to tell her? Was it not a fairy tale but... real?

"You will not have an easy life little girl," he said gently kissing her on the cheek.

Little girl? she thought, deflated. I don't want to be just a little girl.

"But you are strong, I can see that." Taking her left hand, he slid a ring onto her wedding finger.

The prince gave the little princess a beautiful ring and told her to weep no more, for she was no longer alone.

"As you grow, never lose your dear strength or dreams, even when you become a young woman. This ring will lead you back to me one day."

Rising from the ground, he climbed onto his white horse (He had come on a horse hadn't he....) and rode out of sight, leaving only the lingering scent of roses and a confused little girl.

Inhaling the sweet scent, she gazed at her new ring. It was a thick silver with a large ruby inserted into it. (1) Peering closely into the stone, she made out a crest with in it....a rose? Despite it's heavy looks it was as light as a feather and warm to the touch. It was like it was made for her. Maybe - no surely it was meant as an engagement ring! Blushing, she raised a hand to her cheek.

He was - so amazing. A prince. No, her prince.

"I will be just like him," She whispered to the the trees - the healthy oaks with the glorious green leaves. "I too will become a good and noble prince, just like him. Someday I will save someone just like me."


Notes

1- just think of a class ring.

I hope you all enjoyed that. If you couldn't tell the things centered and italiced was a narration like in a story book, kind of like the original Utena. Ah, you may wonder, but which characters are which?


Onward   |   Fanfiction