Part 1


Notes

This is Zel/Lina and done to Save the Best for Last by Vanessa Williams.


Sometimes the snow comes down in June
Sometimes the sun goes 'round the moon

Things were certainly strange. Lina thought. Why had Zel asked to speak to her when he looked so distraught? Wasn't he with Amelia? Just like she was with Gourry? Lina shook her head as she continued to pace under the trees outside of the inn. Hands on hips and growing a little impatient, she stopped to stare up at the moon. Lina almost jumped out of her skin, but fell on her butt instead, when she felt the tap on her shoulder. "Jeez, Zel!" She looked up from her spot on the ground. "Make some kind of noise next time when you walk!" Zel gave her one of his big amused smiles. Of course, they were only commonplace to Lina. Begrudgingly, she was usually the recipient of such teasings from Zel. But the smile quickly slipped away from Zel's face and he began to look off. Oh, no. Lina felt the edge of her lips frown. He's getting all brooding again. She saw that she would have to start the talking. Be blunt, direct? Just ask what this was all about? No. Zel wouldn't even talk to Amelia about whatever was on his mind. Lina got up and returned to her stare at the moon. "It won't be long until we reach that lost temple. How many more days do you think we'll be?" Zel joined her stare at the moon.

"Probably 3 more days if we keep up this pace." There was a silence at that point, as if Lina expected Zel to say more. Perhaps she was waiting. Zel glanced over to her quickly as she continued staring back at the moonlight.

I see the passion in your eyes
Sometimes it's all a big surprise

Lina's face was solemn, but her eyes... Internal hurt was not often seen in Lina. She was so strong and tried to maintain that image, it was almost shocking to see the contrary. But it shouldn't have been. He knew better than the fronts she put up. Zel had been reading people long enough to know she was worried and trying to keep her concerns in check. Perhaps Amelia would have given him the same look if he came to talk to her about this, except that she would be more teary-eyed and plead for him to open up more.

"And to think," Lina continued, "the prince of that region is letting anyone use its library!" She smiled. At least this time, things were going her way. Usually the people who re-discover a lost temple only let some cynile old royal sorcerers at it, or some private sect of a mystic order who kept everything they knew secret. But this time! She could go through the library of ancient spells like a kid in a candy store! Lina was already giddy and impatient every time she thought of the new things she would find, learn, and be able to do. Not to mention that Zel would get a cure for his curse. If only Gourry understood the excitement that the prospect of new power gave her. Amelia had an inkling - a little leaning towards "more ways to uphold justice" types of inklings, but inklings.

Zel could see the excitement jump to her eyes. Easily, an osmosis of anticipation took place, because Lina's excitement for their destination mirrored Zel's own. Somehow, the tiny boost of adrenaline gave him the courage to speak. Besides, the current topic was related to his concerns. "Lina, I - " He tried to look her in the eyes as he spoke, but seeing her turn to meet his gaze made his eyes quickly retreat back to the moon. "I have no doubt that the Temple of Elements will bring me closer to a cure. Or may even have my cure. So I've begun to wonder lately." In the pause, Lina wanted to open her mouth the say something, but retracted. "What you told Koppii Rezo, I've begun to think that I've needed to do that too."

"To see whats ahead of you, after you reach your cure?" Lina thought aloud to herself, more than confirmed with Zel. He nodded, thankful that she always understood perfectly, the stuff that was hard for him to say.

"When I'm human again, this chimera power and strength will be gone." Another pause as Zel chose to plan his next words instead of stutter over them.

"You wonder if you'll still be good enough?" Lina finished for him. Zel closed his eyes and nodded. Lina knew exactly what he was talking about. Sometimes in her absent pondering before she slept, she wondered what her life would be like if she did not have her power and strength, if she did not have the things that defined Lina Inverse. A fear ran through her before she even finished such thoughts. I guess now's the time to face the question. For Zel, too. Lina continued thinking to herself. Damn it! I'm Lina Inverse! And if anything like that happened to me, I'd still be brilliant, strong, and beautiful enough to just work to get it back! "Zel," she said aloud, "There's more to you than what Rezo gave you, and that person, I know, can do anything." Lina hoped that didn't sound too mushy. To make sure, she added, "If you want to spar and prove it, the offer's on the table. I'm sure you'd come very close to beating me." She tinged the latter with some playful sarcasm. Zel's expression had not changed. Lina becamed a little annoyed, but still worried. Then, suddenly, eyes still closed, he smiled.

'Cause there was time when all I did was wish
You'd tell me this was love
It's not the way I hoped or how I planned
But somehow it's enough

That was certainly different than the "I love you no matter what you are" that he knew Amelia would give him, regardless of what he would have told her. Lina was dependable for the honest answer.

"Zel, why didn't you talk about this to Amelia?" He turned to her, the irony of Lina seemingly reading his mind.

"Because I know that if I ever became a pathetic excuse for a man, she'd still praise me. And that would be a lie I couldn't live with, even if she really believed it."

And now we're standing face to face
Isn't this world a crazy place?
Just when I thought our chance had passed
You go and save the best for last

Both stood there, smiling to the other, grateful with what they had learned from each other. After some time, Zel managed to thank Lina for her input. And she smiled with her casual cheerfulness in reply, as he started to head back. Lina stayed out in the moonlight a little longer, feeling strangely puzzled, but thankful that Zel chose to talk to her. Lina watched Zel walk back to the inn...back to Amelia.... as other strange feelings flashed by for the briefest of moments.


Part 2   |   Fanfiction