Chapter 1: Changes Made


"Damn!" Bass growled harshly. He was trapped here! That stupid crackpot Wily had left him behind when the plan went wrong, and now Mega Man was stuck to him like a blue leech! May all his teeth fall out! Although Bass was thinking of giving him some help with that.

Hiding behind a shattered wall, he waited for Mega Man to run up, intending to jump out and deliver a good uppercut to the blue snot. It didn't quite work that way. Rush, damn dog, tagged onto his arm. Treble jumped him, but the momentary delay let Mega Man jump back and level his arm cannon at Bass.

Bass yelped as he was flung back sharply, his armor crispy-crittering under the blow. Life was starting to really suck. Everything was ganging up on him.

And Treble too. His poor companion ended up flying right beside him, scorched nicely. Treble yipped and whined, trying hard to stand, but Bass could see one of his legs was damaged from the blast.

Well, what am I doing lying around??? Suiting actions to thoughts, Bass hefted himself up from the floor. He bit off a small groan of pain. Despite being only a robot, not truly alive like Mega Man, he was the most advanced robot possible. That meant extremely realistic emotion routines. and pain receptors so he didn't damage himself carelessly.

Right now, he was wishing Wily hadn't been so conscientious when he had given him those pain receptors. I mean, give a combat robot the ability to feel pain? Was that the act of a sadist or what?

But these musings were getting him absolutely nowhere. Gasping in an attempt to cool himself, Bass grabbed Treble and dashed for cover as Mega Man peppered the area with low powered blasts. The Blue Bomber seemed intent on killing him this time.

Or maybe he means to capture me. Bass couldn't decide if that was worse, or even likely. It was a fine line between shut down and exploded for an ordinary robot, or even a more advanced robot like Bass.

I could. surrender. Even the idea was difficult to contemplate. It wasn't part of his programming. But somehow, he did contemplate it. And rejected it. No. If he wants me, he'll have to catch me! Snarling, he knelt down, ducking out from the cover to fire at Mega Man.

None of his shots impacted, but none of Mega Man's did, either. It wasn't exactly a victory, but it was something, and right now, Bass would take it.

His eyes narrowing, Bass started to charge his cannon. A familiar feeling welled up inside him. what he felt whenever he fought Mega Man. Was it hatred? Yes, he gave it that name. Which was strange, since his programming wasn't supposed to include real, emotional hatred. The thrill of battle and an urge to destroy Mega Man, yes. but not this insane, bitter hatred and rage directed at him.

"Unh unh." Bass's eyes widened in shock and anger as he heard that familiar, cursed voice behind him.

"Proto -- " He screamed, whirling. just in time to receive a powered up hit right to the chest. " -- man." He finished weakly, slumping. and realizing that he was directly in Mega Man's sights. Several low powered shots peppered him, slamming him down again. shots from both sides. He was hopelessly pinned between Mega and Proto, suffering in the crossfire.

So this is. it. damn. him. Bass thought painfully, his circuits fizzling and internal diagnostics flashing red. He managed to fire off a few shots, and his aim was good.. But that didn't matter as they kept hammering him with the crossfire. Blackness running across his vision, Bass fell limp, almost comatose. He could hear Treble howl, but it was so distant.

He was faintly aware of someone running up and voices talking, just before his eyes closed.


Protoman and Mega both stood beside Bass as he smoked quietly. "He's still intact." Proto observed dispassionately. It rather surprised him, since most robots usually exploded.

"Is he alright?" Mega asked anxiously, kneeling down beside Bass and touching him on the shoulder. Bass didn't stir a bit, something Proto was thankful for. He wants to kill you, and you worry about him? He bit off a groan. That was his brother, alright. Too good to live. Although he seems to manage. Protoman shrugged, and aimed at Bass.

"No!" Mega Man's hand lashed out, knocking away his arm cannon. Proto blinked at him.

"What.?" Then he blinked again as Mega turned Bass over, and gently picked him up. "What are you doing?" Proto asked again, flabbergasted. Mega looked at him for a second, then heaved Bass over one shoulder. Bass was a few inches taller than he was and a little bulkier, so it wasn't very easy.

"I'm taking him back to Dr. Light. We can't just kill him when he's helpless, Proto." Mega argued. "Besides, Dr. Light can reprogram him." Protoman chewed on that for a moment, then nodded. Dr. Light could reprogram Bass to take out the trash if he wanted.

It wasn't like Bass was alive, after all. And besides, Mega Man seemed very. determined. Proto shrugged, and picked up Treble, teleporting back to the lab.

"What I've always wanted." Mega Man whispered to himself as he stepped onto Rush. So long ago, Bass had pretended to be a friend. and he had seemed like a good one, for a short time. It was hard to admit to himself, but Mega wanted and needed friends. Dr. Light was so much older and more experienced. and Roll was. well, a girl. Human boys were immature, and if they found out who he was, well, it just didn't work.

As they flew, Mega Man glanced down at Bass's face. He looked very peaceful, his dark, almond-shaped eyes closed and his expression serene. The damage was extensive. deep slashes and plasma burns all along his armor, revealing some of his internal circuitry. But Mega was certain Dr. Light could repair him.

So he flew home, and hoped everything would be okay.


Chapter 2   |   Fanfiction