Chapter 6


Forte landed on the ground with a metal thud, enticing a low growl from the ebony android. The Flaming reploids, Mammoth and Stag, dusted their hands off and smirked as the doors started to close, leaving Bass growling on the floor. He got on his knees, sitting on the back of his legs for a second to take the time to punch the ground with both fists.

What's going on here?! he thought as he rose to his feet, glaring at the doors he knew there would be no chance of breaking, or even denting for that matter. Don't even know how to treat a guest right... He smirked at that and looked around for the first time.... and his eyes flashed red in rage.

He was standing at the edge of the battle area in an ancient colloseum, restored, indoors with a small skylight at the top of the dome, and filled to the brink with large animal mechs.

Am I still in Japan?? Wait, no, I have to be! The buildings in that city were covered in kanji symbols! But... why would the fucking Colloseum be in Japan?! It's supposed to be in Rome! Any ass knows that!

Hold it! You shouldn't be worrying about that! You've got the rejects from Old McDonald's Farm to worry about. What are they cheering for? Me being eaten by some metal muncher or me being pounded to a bloodied pulp by one or numbers of them? Well, I'm not going down so easily. I'm not Wily's 'favorite' for nothing!

His head whipped around to another section of the arena when a voice boomed over all the others. "Welcome, comrads, to just another small catch of entertainment we found on the street!"

The spotlight fell on a reploid above the rest. Forte narrowed his eyes to get a closer look at him. Purplish blue armor in color, red highlights on his boots, fraternal twin cannons on his shoulders, and a helm that really reminded him of Boba Fett. He, as well as everyone else, heard him snicker and continued. "I'm sure you've all heard the legends about Wily's Robot Masters. Yeah, the ones that took waaaaay too long to get rid of their one adversary!"

The boos, hysterical laughter, and animals sounds were humiliating, but shock was also mixed in his deep violet eyes, which had widened considerably. How... how long... How long is way too long?! We finally defeated Megaman?! What?!.... No, we couldn't have. I'm sure of it! We could never -- ! How?! How was it done?! No! I won't believe it! This has to be a trick, or a lie! It can't be! It.. just can't be true....

A cold shudder of dread ran through him. Not only was this confusing, but now it scared him. Terror and horror he never knew until now, and with it came a wish to be back home, in his choosen room, with a stupid book in his lap and Treble napping beside him. And it was terribly funny to Bass in a sad way.

He, Forte, self-proclaimed rival of Rockman, wanted to go home. Back to Wily and his insults and german accent and lousy house keeping and back to those nitwits who thought that Wily was God.... He'd kill for the chance.

The doors open on the other side, grabbing the ebony robot's attention, listening to the strange announcer as the shadows moved beyond the doors, taking a form and odd shape. "So, let's make things interesting and send out someone who's just a bit higher in power than the fabled Forte! We all know him and wish that he'd stop reaching across the table with his tongue instead of his claws, Sting Chameleon!"

Who?!

Sting took his first step out of the dark and entered the area, crouching down and hissing at his new opponent, tongue twitching. Forte recoiled in disgust. Oh my god. Now I've seen everything!

The reptile pounced towards his new toy, intending on breaking it first thing, but he never saw the attack, nor heard it above the cries of his fellow Mavericks, that hit him dead on him flank and left him sprawled out on the ground, momentarily dazed and stunned.

Both attacks had been sudden, and Forte froze from the chameleon's leap, but blinked disbelievingly at his savior, who's howls carried over the shouts of outraged from the spectators. "Rush!"

The canoid stopped his growling and looked at Bass with a lopsided, goofy grin, panting happily. He would've said something, but the Mavericks were starting to look ugly. What the hell. "Rush, get us out of here!"

No sooner were the words out of his mouth that the red canine had shifted to jet mode. Forte grinned to himself and jumped on Rush's back, blasting up just in time to miss a tongue lashing from Sting, who had recovered from the dirt-eating blow.

Rapid shots were being fired from the anthropomorphs, Rush dodging and weaving around every one, some with space to spare and others just barely avoiding. The skylight was their destination, but could they make it?

Vile watched their attempts stoically, his red eye chuckling for him. Hickory dickory dock, only a few seconds left on the clock. The clock tolled death, but he didn't fall like the rest. The damn bastard I do mock. "We'll see if you live to see your world, Forute."


"Hey, doc, find anything yet?" As always, Zero's the only one who puts so much disrespect into the word 'doc'. Cain could only sigh, the defeat to himself. "I think I might have. My search it down to the last three.... and," he turned around in his swivel chair, eyes on the three robots that just came in, "I heard from surveilence that Rock got into a bit of a jam with our resident troublesome trio."

Rock nodded, his expression blandly innocent. "Yes sir."

"Hmm... Zero, go find X for me. On foot."

Zero's shoulders sunk and his face grew cross, mixed with weariness and a touch of 'he's got to be kidding me'. But, the crimson reploid went off, head hanging, and wondering what he got to deserve a foot search.

Gospel felt a long talk coming up and went over to settle beside a wall console. Jeremy motioned for Rock to sit in a chair next to him and Rock obeyed, sitting in the chair with his feet hovering over the floor by a few inches. "This is about not being able to get home, isn't it?"

The scientist nodded gravely. "I don't know what to do with you if there is no way to transfer you back. Yes, you always could become a Hunter, but Yakasa-san is you, in a way. The concept won't be easily taken. You'd need an upgrade and have to assume a new identity altogether, maybe even have your memories erased.

"And let's not forget that Forte and Blues, as well as Rush, are still out there, either all alone, under someone's wing, taken by the Mavericks, the possibilities are endless. But I want your opinion on it. It's your decision to what you can do if we can't return you back to Dr. Light."

Rock stared down at the ground, his hands clasped and tightly in his lap. Conflict shimmered in his eyes. He finally said after a moment, "I won't start thinking about that now. I've avoided it this long, but I'm not deciding until it's a sure thing I won't go home with the others. We don't belong here, sir, and erasing my memories will do nothing. If Yakasa is, indeed, me from this time, I can understand and respect that, but he did tell me that he did not remember anything. If it is resorted to not getting home, and I decide to stay here to be turned into something that will never be me again, then even though they are not complete, I want him to have my memory chips. That's my only request."

"One that I can grant, I do hope that it does resort to you getting home. It will change the future somewhere if you don't."

Rock nodded again. "Thank you... but can I ask you a question?"

"Yes?"

"Well," he looked sheepish, "it's kind of personal. Is that okay?"

"Ask and we'll see."

"I was wondering, your name is Jeremy Cain, but you look half gaijin... I was wondering about your parentage....." He trailed off, staring at the tips of his boots, his cheeks warming up.

Cain laughed quietly. "If that's all you want to know, I'll be glad to tell you. My father was an American who came over here and married a Japanese woman. She died when I was born, but that didn't stop me from learning about both countries, including the languages. Like most gaijin, half or not, I kept my english name and the english way of having it arranged. I mean, Cain Jeremy looks weird as well as sound it. Does this have anything to do with Wily or Light?"

"Umm... sorta. I was just remembering that Dr. Light is an english man and it's hard to mistake that Wily's from germany. Both are invaders to a country one is trying to protect and the other take over. What right do they have and look what they cause."

"Well then, Rokku, I suggest that you try to change the future, now that you have knowledge about it."

Rock smiled then, albeit a small smile, but it was still coated with friendliness. He thanked Cain again and stayed silent for the moment. It was then Dr. Cain's screen beeped and the doctor whirled around to check it, just as Zero came back, hauling a bewildered and stunned Yakasa. "Well well, look what I ran into on the way."

Megaman X grunted something that sounded an awful lot like, "Literally," as he was swung around and brought to attention by Zero. X only side-glared his secret lover, then turned to Cain and asked, "Anything?"

"Yup, and I'm wishing I remembered this from before. Would've saved us some trouble." Cain read from the profile in vague detail. "Dr. Asaki Kai, born on May 2, 21XX, was a renowned scientist in space travel, as well as mechanics, nuclear science, and most power-coordinated fields.

"Then he started using his funds to experiment on dimension crossing and time travel. It was a dream of his to somehow use that against the Mavericks, but people deemed him crazy and threatened to lock him up if he continued. He was 58 when he disappeared, and that was 4 years ago. They made a big deal about this at the time."

"So this is a mad-scientist-fakes-his-disappearance-so-he-can-secretly-work-on-his-evil-creation situation?" Zero put on the same expression before he left the room a few moments ago. Why do I suddenly feel like I'm trapped in a bad sci-fi piece of fiction?

"For the most part, yes. I'm sending you to the last siting place the rumor supposed points to. The west Nasagi building. Zero, X, I'm still apologizing for pulling you away from your vacation, but -- "

"Yeah, yeah, you want us to ouff cough go." Zero held his midriff where the blue reploid had elbowed him. "We'll go, sir."

"Excellent." And then his gaze fell on Rock. "Would you like to join them? I know we shouldn't be asking you to, considering this may be too big for your power to handle, but this is your problem and you can hold your own, so...."

There wasn't even a pause. "I'm going. This Asaki supposedly transported me, my enemy, our support units, and my brother here for some reason. I want to here it first hand."

"Then it's settled. You're dismissed."

"Yes sir," came the chorus of three.


"They will be here soon, Asaki."

Asaki nodded, without looking up from his fifth lookover of the projects success and calculations. "Take him. I've completed your request and recorded what I wanted. Do whatever it is that you want with him."

There was fair amount of amusement and a twinge of something far more dangerous in his voice as the shadow stepped half way into the light, revealing red and black armor to gather the small robot in his arms. "I thank you, Asaki, for fulfilling my request. I'll return soon."

The body disappeared, faded away in the shadows from whence he came. Kai sighed then, when he was sure he was alone, weariness seeping into his body and mind. I've done it. I've surpassed all of the great geniuses that ever lived... but I won't live to see my creation exploited or even discovered again. All that work, for nothing... No, not for nothing. I've just insured that this cycle shall continue, as it always has. This future will never change, because it wasn't meant to.

Tears ran down his face. "And because it will, I will continue to loose my family... But I'll see them soon. I will....."


Rush gave a surprised yelp as something suddenly picked up on his internal sensors. Could it be?... It is! The red robo-dog gave a few quick 'happy' barks and Forte peered at him bewildered. "Whatcha got, Rasshu? Is it Rockman?"

The dog nodded, but then haulted in mid air and started to whimper. There were two identical markings for his master. They were both in the same spot, but... It still hurt. Who was what?

Forte narrowed his eyes, his eyebrows raised in question. "What's wrong?"

Rush shook his head, whining. But then they both blinked out and the canoid gave a long and low howl. He was so confused. But Bass, having a companion of his own who acted similarly, said, "Just go where you think he is. We'll most likely find him..." I hope... Can't have a damn 'final battle' without a fucking rival. Something pained inside, though, at the thought of finishing Megaman off. He scowled himself. Love or programming, buster. Can't have both... Hey, wait! What happened to Blues?! This is fucking nuts; that halfling bastard better be okay.


"Is it just me, or is this place hollower than Vava's helmet?"

X make a small sound and nodded, glancing around with the light provided only by the open door. "I don't like this. The place is supposed to be abandoned and empty, but not this empty."

Treble walked a little farther ahead, sniffing the ground for anything useful. However, some tiny creaking sound above him was messing up his concentration. How was he suppose to work when something was swinging above him -- Gospel raised his head and started sniffing the air. Bio-organic persperation, clinking chains, sharp, shallow breaths... The smell was familiar. It reminded him of a certain spot in the forests back home.... Oh no.

The lupoid started barking at something above them frantically, ignoring the loud echos rumbling off the walls, until his three companions were by his side. Rock was trying to calm him down and Yakasa asked, "What's the matter? Find something?"

Gospel, with his head still looking upwards, whined lowly. Zero ignited his beam sabre like a flashlight and aimed it to the general area the wolf was looking to. What they saw could've been a bit disturbing. Rock has all but shrilled, "Oniisan!!"

"It's about time you looked there," snickered a voice; Rock could've claimed it familiar. A loud snap followed, the door slamming shut behind them. Another click and a low hum indicated the dim lights turning on, casting the room in a fog-like atmosphere.

Rock's eyes were cast up at his brother, hanging upside down by chains that wrapped around him like a poorly done coccoon. He was striped bare of everything except his body armor. His scarf, shield, and visored helmet were all missing.

Oh the other hand, Zero and Yakasa were glaring at the unknown reploid who dared to do this. His armor was a foreboding red and black, jagged and sharp looking. A slightly domed plate was attached to his left lower-arm covering, cracking with force field energy. In his right hand was a stick about a foot long, made of curcuit-implanted brassish metal. He wore no helmet. Instead, both were surprised to find that the reploid was wearing a long, yellow bandana over his eyes, the ends tied behind his head and fell nearly to his knees. "Surprise surprise, Hunters.. and Rockman. I believe you've enjoyed your stay here so far, Rock?"

Rock tore his sight away from Protoman at his name, barely controlling his anger. This.. this monster..... How.. -- how could he catch my brother? No one can catch my brother. We've all tried -- .. "Y--you couldn't ha--have caught him! Let him go!"

"Hn hn hn.." The reploid smirked, twisting his body to put one foot out in the other as his left hand went to his hip. He looked away, downwards, and raised his weapon-welding hand in a shrug. "Ah, Rock. There's something you don't understand about the kagemusha, the shadow warriors. The only way to catch.. such a proud warrior such as your older brother, is if you are one of them. In other words, I am a kagemusha. You want him back? I'll hand him over, if one of you," he pointed his bo at them, "defeat me. With honor, trickery, whichever. It doesn't matter."

Gospel was crouching down, growling a threat to the newcomer... No one threatened his... his... no one threatened those he protected. No matter how much they reminded him of someone..

X and Zero turned to each other, X holding up two fingers and Zero nodded. They silently did evens-and-odds; X frowning when his one finger and Zero's two decided fate for them. His koibito was to challenge the shadowed reploid.

The Crimson Hunter stood up, gripping the hilt of his best non-living friend. "I'll take that bet. I win, you tell us all we want to know and we take Blues with us. If you win...?"

The reploid's smirk broke out wider. "If I win, I'll name the price then. Is that fair, Zero?"

Zero matched his smirk. "Okay, that's fair." He took a step foward. "By the way, you know our names, but we don't know yours. Care to tell us or keep it a secret?"

"Hn." The reploid raised his right hand and swiped it across him, extending it's ends to his own height. "They call me Blind."

"Blind, huh." Zero took a few steps to the side, away from the other two, and Blind turned to keep them both at frontal views. "Fits very well, if I do say so myself."

"Glad you agree." The statement barely passed his lips before both warriors rushed each other, weapons clashing again and again in determined fury. Red streaks raced around the room, one lighter, one darker, avoiding those who were also in there with precision.

Yakasa, Rock, and Treble, on the other hand, were tore between watching the battle with earnest and trying to conceive a simple solution to getting Blues down.... X shook his head to clear it up and grabbed his smaller comnterpart by the shoulders. "Listen to me," he hissed. "I want you to use Gospel to fly you up above your brother and break the restraint somehow. Think you can?"

"I..." He nodded and finally ripped his eyes away. Something about this was horrifying...

The two bodies stopped moving near one side of the room, both only haven broken a mild sweat. Zero narrowed his eyes, greatly impressed by his opponent's self-given handicap. "Sure you don't wanna take that off? It could be your down fall in more ways then one." There was doubt in his voice as well as an edge of shallow breath.

Blind gave him a roguish smile. "I trust the dark more than I trust myself. Don't worry Zero. As you can see, I'm a match for you, even with it on. Don't start getting cocky now that you've seen how I fight blindfolded."

"Hey, no sweat. Now," he tossed his head back and took a deep breath, "let's get back to the task at hand, shall we?"

"Mmm.. Let's," came the answering purr.

As the clashing started again, Rock found it harder to concentrate on streaming out enough plasma power to have any effect on cutting the chain. He was only half way through his choosen link, but the two battling reploids and the fact that his brother was still unconscious were working up his nerves. Treble was hovering below him, holding him up as he worked; the lupoid was occupying himself with trying to wake the bioroid the same way he does to Forte.

Rock narrowed his eyes at the stubborn peice of metal. C'mon, just break, darn you..

At last, the link snapped under the weight and Yakasa was there to grab the robot as he fell to the ground and the past pair dropped down next to him. Megaman was practically hovering over Blues in a way a mother hen looks over her chicks... he just wasn't very good at it. Switching roles this far into the game was never the greatest idea.

While they made a bolt for the door, the pace for the two reploids stepped up and dirtier tricks started popping up, such as Zero's attempt to drop kick his adversairy or Blind's quick shot to Zero's side with a mini-wrist laser that left a nasty sting. It was no longer a bargain fight.

There was a surge of emotion that began to boil up inside the blonde hunter. It was raw, unfiltered, but not entirely unknown. It reflected hurt, suffering, pain, screams, tears... A hold on something from long ago that Zero just couldn't grasp. But it wasn't bloodlust. No, that felt different, but not by much. This was a feeling he felt for no other, had felt for no other. That's why it unnerved him.

It was domination.

Order was thrown out of balance in this event. This wasn't right. This reploid, Blind, should be submitting to him, not fighting and retaliating..... *That* felt right. Submission.

He wouldn't tolerate anything less.

With a sudden burst of power, fueled by bewildered rage, Zero disarmed the black and red guardian and shoved him up against the wall, a snarled etched onto his features and ultramarine eyes bordering on a glowing red. There was a tight strain on his breathing.

Blind's lip curled up in a smirk. "Well, well. Looks like you've won, Zero. Go on," he said, taunting to no end, "take what you've won."

Zero dropped his dangerous expression at those words. His grip slacked and he felt lost in a world with double minds. "No -- .. What -- ? Who.. who are you?.. What are you doing to me?!"

"I'm doing nothing. You are the one reacting this way."

The hunter shook his head and backed off a step, figuratively cornered. "I.. I'm not. It's you! You're doing this somehow!"

Blind chuckled lowly and stepped foward once, again up against his opponent. One hand reached up to gently stroke Zero's cheek, only making blue eyes widen even more. "I make no one do anything. If at all, I open eyes. And your eyes are starting to open."

Taking another step away, Zero tripped over the discarded metal bo and, in an instant, found himself on the floor with Blind pressing him down with both knees on his thighs. The latter grabbed at the collar of Zero's armor and brought him up to a sitting position. "You'll see someday, Zero. That you aren't who you think you are, but history repeats itself. When will you kill him Zero? When will you kill him right before my eyes, out of rage and what's unconsciously locked away in your programming. If it doesn't happen, I'll forgive you. If it does, then I can't. I will never, but I'll grant you the favor you'll ask."

Blind brough him closer, nose to nose, and he could see puzzlement and a twitch of horror swimming in those beautiful eyes. "I'm a shadow, Zero. Whether you like it or not, I'll be on you. A shadow of your past!" The last word barely slipped out as the red and black reploid covered Zero's lips with his own.

Time could only slow to creeping as something long forgotten flooded his memory. There was an excreciating craving of a need he couldn't touch, but a want he always found a way to keep sated for a short time. There was anger, a sense of betrayal, misery, and pure sadness. No images showed why and Zero found the strength to pull away, shivering in his confusion.

Who are you?

Who am I?

... I -- Oh no.

Yakasa. He felt like screaming bloody murder at himself.

Contorting his features to show another wave of anger, he shoved Blind off of him and scooted back and jump to him feet, making a straight beeline for the door. But a kind of nagging picked at his mind and cast a glance over his shoulder.

Blind was only sitting there, not following or anything, just staring (or so it could be considered) at the floor. His shoulders were shaking. Zero could only wonder briefly, Is he crying?

His answer became 'apparently not' when a sound built up into a laughter that rattled your insides. It was filled to the brim with insanity and cruelty.

And then, Blind was alone, watching the closed door with interest. A hand reached up to remove his blindfold, revealing dark eyes with a malicious gleam in them as the bright material was cast aside. "That's right, Zero. Run. Run back to your safe haven from the past and the future.. Run back to what I spent the whole damn war trying to set up. Run back to him. Don't think I won't be back. I'll forever be in your lives, because destiny will not be permitted to change, and neither will my intent on keeping this future as so."


Chapter 7   |   Fanfiction