Chapter 1: Exodus from China


Notes

Normal speech is said, or thought, in Japanese. If its between asterisks [] it's said or thought in Chinese.


On his way to Juuban, Ranma had quite a bit of time to think. He thought about all of things his father had put him through. True, he was probably one of the best martial artists in the world, but was it all really worth it? There was so much that he lost. He, flat out, didn't know anything besides martial arts, and even some of that was sketchy. After all supposedly he learned the neko-ken, but the only thing he could remember about that is being terrified of cats. Was it really worth all of the training that his father put him through?

Ranma sighed and tried to shrug his doubts off. He tried to think about something else when his mind came upon the destination of his current travels. His mother. He was going to see someone he hadn't seen for 10 years. What was she like? Was she kind, or was she like her husband? Would she even welcome back? And then, the worst thought of all struck. What was she like, to send her son out at the age of six to possibly never see him? She surely knew what Genma was like. Maybe she didn't even want to see Ranma again.

Ranma sighed one more time as it started to rain. Within a few seconds, Ranma had to tighten the drawstrings on his pants, and adjust his balance to account for his new form. "Oh well, things could be worse, right?", he thought to himself.

With said thought, the sky opened up, and started to let off a true downpour. It was unbelievable the amount of wind and rain that was coming down, as she huddled under one of the bigger trees to catch some of the rain. However, it wasn't very necessary, since the rain stopped five minutes later it stopped just as suddenly as it started.

She though about getting out her camping gear so she could heat up a kettle of water to change herself back, but decided against it. She probably end up changing back into a girl afterwards, since some rain was still falling from the top of trees.

She sighed in defeat and started picking her way through the trail she was on. Her stomach growled at her, but she wasn't able to see any wild life and kept trudging along the trail. Within 30 minutes she had come to the outside of some kind of backwater village. She decided that she might be able to get some food and shelter from these people, and entered through the city gates.

As she entered the village she noticed a distinct lack of people. All the houses were made out of wood and had sticks held together with some sort of clay for roofs. The place had an ancient air to it, but it also had a lived in feel to it, so why wasn't anyone around?

It was then that she heard some light shouting towards the middle of the city. She started to jog towards the noises, and was able to see two females fighting on a log that was suspended by to two other logs that were about 20' in height. The two warriors were quite different in appearance. One was a rather hefty lady that held two swords in a ready position. The only way Ranma could tell that she was a girl was because of the makeup she wore on her face. The other warrior, on the other hand, was quite beautiful. She had a lithe body that was held two bonbori in a somewhat familiar ready pose. The purple haired beauty's position nagged at his mind for some reason. She shrugged it off as she heard somebody hit a gong.

The two instantly started to sprint towards each other, but to say it was a fight might have been pushing things. Within two swings of the purple haired girl's bonbori the other girl was sent flying off of the log. However, this wasn't noted by Ranma. She was too busy staring at a table full of food. She thought about taking some when she noticed a sign near it. Unfortunately she couldn't read it, but she guessed it was probably a warning, so she sighed and turned back around just in time to see a very old woman staring at her with an uncomfortable gleam in her eyes.

"I ain't gonna eat your food, if that's what you're thinking.", she said to the elder.

"No, child. I wasn't worried about the food. However, if you're hungry you could fight my granddaughter for the food. It's the prize of whoever wins this tournament."

"Fine with me. Who's your granddaughter?", she asked.

The elder responded by pointing to the log, where the purple haired girls hand was being held up by another girl.

Ranma shrugs and jumps up to the top of the log, slipping off her backpack. She bowed to the surprised girl, while saying, "You're grandmother said that if was able to beat you I could eat the food on that table."

"The girl looked at her in a confused manner, but got into a ready stance as the referee jumped off the log. The gong was sounded and, predictably, the girl rushed Ranma. Ranma stood there calmly in a relaxed pose until she let out a high kick at the last instant. The girl was caught completely by surprise and took the full brunt in her chin, causing her to fall of the log.

Ranma was shocked. She saw the girls skills from before. She should have been able to dodge that easily. But, she didn't have time for such thoughts. She jumped down after the girl and was able to cushion her fall a little bit, leaving both slightly dazed.

Murmurs went through the crowd at this unexpected event. No outsider should be able to defeat any Amazon, let alone there best warrior for this generation. What did this mean?

A minute or so after the fall the purple haired girl was the first to get up. She looked at the redhead uncomprehendingly as she, also started to wake. Then she got a wicked gleam in her eye as she moved over to the girl and cupped her chin in her hand. She was about to deliver a kiss to this new girls cheek when her grandmother's staff was thrust in front of her.

[This isn't one to give the kiss of death to, Xian Pu]

[Why not, Great Grandmother? She defeated me and brought dishonor upon our whole village. Why should I let her live?]

[Because, she's the one that was prophesied about.]

This brought a shocked look to Xian Pu's face. [That can not be. This one is clearly a female. The foreordained one is supposed to be a male that comes in disguise. That is not a male, and that is NOT a disguise.]

Her grandmother bonks her over the head, as Ranma turns her head from one to the other, watching the interaction. [Do you think you know more about these matters than me, girl? Go and get me some hot water and a towel.], she said, glaring at her granddaughter.

As Xian Pu scuttled off to find the necessary items, the elder turned and bowed to Ranma. "I am Khu Lon, elder and chief matriarch of this village. I apologize for the actions of my granddaughter."

Ranma got up rather slowly, but returned the bow. "Thank you for your hospitality, honored one. My name is Ranma."

"While we wait for my granddaughter to return, would you care for some of the food you've earned?", Khu Lon asked.

No more prompting was needed as Ranma dug into with the usual Saotome gusto. A whole chicken and part of a watermelon were gone before Xian Pu had a chance to return.

When she did return, the glass containing hot water was snatched from her by Khu Lon, and given to Ranma.

"I believe you might want to change into something more comfortable."

Ranma narrowed her eyes suspiciously. "Nah that's all right, the clothes I have on right now are plenty comfortable."

"Come now, child. I think we both know what I mean. No harm will be done to you. We know about the curses Jusenkyo can cause."

At the sound of Jusenkyo, muttering starting to, once again, break throughout the gathered crowd. Was it true? Was their best warrior defeated by a boy, of all people? Maybe they'd get a new villager out of this.

Only one thought was going through Xian Pu's head. If this girl is really boy, that would mean. No...I can't get my hopes up. Great Grandmother has been wrong before.

Ranma took this all in and sighed. It seemed to him that he'd been doing a lot of sighing lately. Story of his like, he guessed. Oh well, only one thing to do. And with that, he poured the water over his head, instantly becoming male-type Ranma.

Gasps were heard throughout the villagers, and Xian Pu let out a little clap as she rushed forward so she could give her new husband the kiss of marriage. However, before he could actually give the kiss her lips met her grandmother's can, yet again.

[Grandma, why are you distracting me. He defeated me fair and square. It's my right to claim him as a husband.]

[Haven't you listened to a word I've been saying girl?], Khu Lon snapped at Xian Pu. [Think about it. He comes on the anniversary of the fall, after a short, but violent rain storm. Can't you see who he is?]

Xian Pu's eyes get wider as she stares at Ranma.

"What? Do I got something on my face?", Ranma asked while rubbing his sleeve around his mouth.

Xian Pu bowed to Ranma. "Hello, my name Xian Pu. Is honor to meet you."

Ranma jumped to his feet and bowed back. "My name is Ranma. The honor is mine."

"You do know what this means, don't you Xian Pu?", said her grandmother.

[Yes, Great Gr...], she started, but was cut off by Khu Lon.

"It is rude to speak in a language are guest can not understand, Xian Pu."

"Hai, Great Grandmother.", she said then bowed to Ranma. "I sorry. Is hard for me to speak Japanese."

Ranma shifts his balance between his two feet in discomfort. He didn't have too much experience with other people, let alone beautiful women. "It's alright.", he said while blushing. "I guess that my Japanese isn't so good either."

"Is okay. From now on we study Japanese together. From now on I your new companion."

"Whaddya mean, my companion?", Ranma asked.

"She means that from now on she will go with you wherever you go.", Khu Lon told him.

"Why'd she wanna do that?", Ranma asked with some distress in his voice.

"Son, you may not know it, but you are already an honored member of our village. For countless generations we have held a scroll that contains a prophecy of a warrior. One that will save our village, and all of humanity. You are the one the scrolls foretell."

"Forgive me if I don't believe ya, but I ain't the guy yer lookin' for.", Ranma declared.

"Would you like to see a copy of the scroll? I assure you you're the one.", she replied.

"Kay. What's it say?"

One of the villagers darted into a nearby house and came out with a scroll, handing it to Ranma. He opened it up started scanning it.

"I can't read this. It's all in Chinese."

"Sorry, I forgot. Allow me to translate for you. I assure you that I have spent time pondering how I could translate it in every language I know. It will be quite accurate."

"Okay"

"And he shall come on the night of the anniversary of the fall. Before his coming there will be a storm the as fierce as his coming, for it shall come quick and fierce, yet be gone as quickly. And when he comes he shall be in a disguise which is not his choosing."

"In his coming he shall defeat one of the village. In so doing, she will be bound to him. Forever shall she be his, but never will he be hers."

Khu Lon finishes and rolls the scroll back up as Ranma gulps. Things were not going like he expected them to when he first entered the village. For some reason he didn't even feel like finishing his meal.

"Umm....listen. I've gotta get goin'. I gotta get back to Japan."

"That's alright. Xian Pu can be ready to leave any time you are.", Khu Lon responded.

"I appreciate the gesture. I really do, but I travel real quick and light. I'm sure that Shampoo doesn't want to leave her family behind.", he says, turning around to see Xian Pu glaring at him. He idly wondered why he felt a sudden premonition that he better get used to such looks.

"You mock me. I am warrior too. I no hold you back. I pull my own and yours. I know this area and I hunt well."

"That's all great, Shampoo, but tell me, do ya really want to leave you people behind?"

"No, I no want to leave my friends behind, but is nothing I can do. I yours now. Without me you dead. Without you village dead. What good friends to me if that happen?", she asked.

Ranma bowed his head in defeat, for the first time ever. "If ya wanna come, there's nothing I can do to stop ya. I'll give ya up at a month to tie up loose ends, then we leave for Japan. However, you should know that I still don' believe I'm this warrior you're talkin' about."

"It's alright, Revered One. You don't need to. You just need to be who you are, and do what you need to do. There's nothing more we ask of you."

With that said the villager started to crowd in around Ranma, trying to shake his hand and ask various questions.

"Help.", Ranma yelped.

"That's ENOUGH.", Khu Lon yelled out, causing the various warriors to scatter and Ranma to breathe with relief.

"You will be staying at my house until you leave. We will supply you with everything you need. All I ask in return is that you take some lessons from me."

"Lessons?", Ranma asked.

"Yes, lessons. Since you are part of the village I can teach you some of our secret techniques that have been handed down since the time of the fall."

"You keep mentioning the fall. What's that?"

"The fall took place almost 4000 years ago. It is said that there was a great warrior that fell from the sky into a nearby valley where she vanished. We have waited 4000 years for her to awaken. You are the one."

"Ya mean that I'm supposed to find her."

Khu Lon looks away, trying to avoid eye contact. "That's not exactly it. You see, you are her. You are her reincarnated form."

"Okay, stop right there.", Ranma practically yells. "Now I know you're wrong ‘bout me. No way I can be this warrior. You said it's a girl. I'm a guy. I was cursed ta turn into a girl. Ya hear that? Cursed. As in, not my real form."

"This may generally be the case for Jusenkyo, Revered One, but is not so for you. You see, there's another part to the prophecy that the normal villagers aren't allowed to read.", Khu Lon says while rummaging around in a chest. "Ah, here it is."

"Lo and behold, this new warrior will be a composite of what is, and what was. Neither shall he be one whole, nor divided in two. Half shall be loved by the village and half shall be scorned. Only in duality shall he conquer."

"So, sounds like a lot of gibberish to me.", Ranma replies.

"That's because you don't know our history or laws. It means that you are neither male nor female. You are, in fact, both."

"Well, obviously I'm both. That's the whole problem."

"Come now, Son. Haven't you wondered why you feel so comfortable when you're in your cursed form?", she asks.

"Uncomfortable?! Of course I'm uncomfortable. Why would I be comfortable bein' some weak girl. I'm a guy!!"

Khu Lon's face grows ashen and she takes a step towards Ranma as her battle aura suddenly becomes visible.

"I'll choose to ignore your outburst since you're the Chosen One. However, know this, and know it well. Never underestimate myself or any other female. We are just as strong as any male."

Ranma takes a step back and gulps. "But Pops...then again, Oyaji's been wrong on a lotta stuff. Guess one more wouldn't be too surprisin', ne?"

"Not this time at least. So, Ranma, do you choose to accept my teachings and to keep them within the village?"

Ranma bows to Khu Lon. "I, Ranma Saotome, hereby accept Cologne as my sensei."

Khu Lon frowns slightly. "It seems I might have to teach you more than just secret techniques, with the way you talk. It isn't proper for a villager to not be able to say our names or to speak the language of their homeland so poorly. From now on, you will also be taking lessons in proper Japanese and be shown how to say our names properly. Xian Pu will educate you on the finer points in Chinese while you teach her more Japanese. Do you accept this offer?"

Ranma grimaces, but bows anyway. "Yes sensei, I accept."

"Good let's get started then. Repeat after me."


One month later:

Both Ranma and Xian Pu are seen in front of the village with backpacks on. The village is all crowded in front of the gate.

"Thank you for your hospitality, Matriarch Khu Lon. I take with me the honor of your teachings and the honor of this village.", Ranma recites before bowing to Khu Lon.

"The honor and the privilege were ours, Revered One. May you take with us our fortune and blessings.", she says returning the bow.

They both turn around and Ranma starts to hike back to the trail he left.

"You can go back and say good-bye if you want to, Xian Pu.", Ranma tells his companion.

A tear can be seen rolling down Xian Pu's eye as she turns around to look in the direction of the village. "No. Xian Pu said what needed be said. Xian Pu now stay with Revered One.

Ranma still felt awkward being around people, but felt he needed to do something. Ranma reached out and put his hand on Xian Pu's shoulder. "I want you to know that I'll be here if you ever need someone to talk, Xian-chan. And, please just call me Ranma."

Xian Pu gave Ranma a small smile, while putting her hand over Ranma's. "Thanks for offer. Xian Pu call you Ranma-chan from now on.", she said while her smile broadened a little.

Ranma's face grew cloudy in mock anger. "Dare you make fun of the Revered One?"

"Hai.", Shampoo replied while running away.

Ranma smiled to himself. It seemed that no matter what happened to him in the future he wouldn't be as lonely as he was while he was training in China. Ranma ran after her with the first true smile he'd had in over 10 years.


Notes

Hope you all liked it. I know that I enjoyed writing it. It had a few surprises in there for me as well. ^_^


Chapter 2   |   Anime@Fan.Fic