Chapter 3


After the fiasco, they set up a small fire by the cave's entrance before Zel's light spell wore off. Each one too a spot and dozed to sleep. Thunder and lightning made their natural lights-and-sound show as the rain starts to pour heavily by the time Amelia took watch. Aez sat next to her helping her to keep awake. Her eyelids grew heavy.

"Sweetheart.." She woke up and smile slugishly. "I was never good at night watch."

"That's okay, I'm here, we'll both keep each other awake." he gave her a peck on her forehead. Moments later, she fell asleep. Aez wrapped his arms around her. He managed to keep his eyes wide open by thinking what might happened if he was caught off guard, imaging both Lina and his only cousin, would give the two youngins' an earful. Lina woke up and picked up her cloak from underneath her head I know It's a little early for my watch but I couldn't sleep anyways. she put it on and walked towards the the couple. She grinned Them two....they'll probably end up married to each other after Sylphiel and Gourry. She gave herself a good stretch before reaching them.

"Hey Aez, you and Amelia can get some sleep, ok?" Aez sleepily nodded and careful lifted the growing princess. He picked out for the two, a not-so-close-but-close-enough spot to sleep on. Lina sat down and fed the fire a little more fuel. Sighing, the love lorn maiden looked at the rain and heard the midnight sky rumbling. She took out the mirror and gazed at her reflection only to be frowning a bit back at her. "Why would Zelgadiss want a spoiled, loudmouthed, arrogant, selfish, flatchested, little brat....once he's cured, he'll have double the chances to find the right woman for himself." she murmered. Her dull ruby eyes watered, allowing the tears to escape on to her cheeks. She wanted to cry her frustration and her heart out but instead, she could only settled to sobbed silently into her arms so not alarm the others, especiall the one who caused her these restless emotions.


"Oh my beautiful Lina. Please don't cry yourself over a heartless man...soon, very soon, you will be with me and then, you can have anything that your heart desires." A dark shadow laughed as he looked into the mirror that was reflecting Lina's solemn face, he frowned when she put it away. "Bah....oh well...I'll probably see her again in the morning." He pushed back a couple of strands out of his face, his hazelnut-brown color hair slightly resembles of a known purple hair trickster priest that the group would talk to. "Well, let's see...I remember Princess Amelia, but who were the other two girls?" recollecting the faces, one of a young, pretty, blonde long-haired sapphire blue-eyed priestess and the other also a young, pretty, dark long-haired emerald green-eyed shrine maiden. "Oh well... That chimera must be Zelgadiss...hhmmm...he doesn't like his appearance." he pondered for a bit "Good, I could probably use it for my advantages. I don't see that stupid blundering blonde swordsman, Gourry..." he grinned maliciously. "I have to thank Amelia and Gourry for helping Lina get rid of that Kali and her daughter...Oh, but how?"

A chartreuse color mazuko appeared. "Perhaps...if you allow me to help you.."

"Why yes, of course you can help yourself for some fun. I can always use the extra time for Lina and where you at it, see if you can eradicate the rest of her companions, I'm certain that you will take pleasure doing so." Tendron grinned "Except for the blue stone chimera. I could....use him for my own enjoyment."

"Understood. I also came by to tell you about Xellos. You are correct....he is still with these little adventurers."

He frowned "Damn! This is probably going to be harder than I had planned."

"Perhaps."

"Oh well..no sense to get dispaired....let's go, I'm hungry."

"I happened to know this nice little quiet village hidden from their neighboring towns."

He gave an evil grin to his fellow mazuko. "Well then, there's no reason to waste all their energy on wholesome goodness is there now?"

The other mazuko matched his grinned. "What do you perfer to do first? Burn down their homes or kill their livestock?"

"I think torturing them by burning house with half the village's slain innocent bystanders will do the trick. Ready?"

"Yes, just follow me." Then the two disappeared.


A couple of hours later, Lina laid her chin on her arms that were hugging her knees, staring blankly at the fire, and listening to the soothing hard rain and thunder. "Lina, you can go back to sleep....my turn to watch." A smooth, expresionless voice had broken her could-of/would-of thoughts. She lifted her tired body up and slowly passed by the cutie chimera.

"Alright then. Goodnight Zel." she lowered her head, hoping he won't see her tear streaked face. Too late, he did, he hesistated for a bit but quickly grabbed her wrist, she stopped but she didn't turn around.

"Is there anything wrong, Lina? Please tell me, I'm your....friend." he made sure his voice hadn't betrayed his grief.

"Don't worry Zel." She bit her lower lip, fighting back the tears that are swelling up her sore eyes. "I...I'm just more tired than I thought." she lied, she had to, she doesn't want anything to burden the man behind her with these yearnings hidden deep within her soul. His hand has now moved to her hand.

"Are you sure you're o.k?" now it was his turn to bite his lip, she nodded. I know you're lying, please tell me, turn around and tell me that you love me was all that ran thru his mind over and over again. He didn't realize that she gently took her hand back. "Night again Zel." were her last words as she retired to her original spot. She took off her black cape, covered herself, and laid down to sleep.

"Goodnight Lina." he whispered, another crytalline tear fell on his cheek. Oh Zel....I wish, I really, really wish, you were more persistant....pressing me to confess. tears flowed from her puffy eyes. Damn it Zel...my true love....you could of said thay you love me...I want to listen you say that you truly love...me. more tears shed. Why can't you love me instead of searching for your stupid cure? she held back with all her strength, her crys and screams of pain and anguish. She sniffled a bit and quickly grabbed her handkerchief before anyone, including a sensitive hearing chimera, hear her sob.

He had his back against the cavern wall, poking the fires to give out more heat. It wouldn't make a difference, I'm stone, I can't feel anything. Three hours past and the rain started to ease up, it's now a soft pattern of pitter patter, during those long hours, he would look back and forth, at his sleeping, fiery sorceress and the storm while the whole time, he listened to the crackling fire. He walks out to the open, letting the rain gently fall on his head, hands, and face. His rainsoaked clothes clings on to his stone body. Salty drops started to flow more freely, looking at his hands then lifted his face up towards the sky, letting the cool rain mixed with his hot tears, both carressing his pebbled face. "Why can't I tell Lina how I truly feel for her? I love her...I truly do love her....but..." he sobbed "I don't deserve her, especially in this....condition." he stopped, staring down on his hands and his body. He balled up his hands into fists and punched a tree that he was next to (the thunderstorm is over, so don't worry, he won't get hit by lightning, though he wished he was at the moment) "Damn it!! Now I have to find my cure....maybe Lina would love me in my true form. Why would she love a freak, a chimera....DAMN YOU REZO!....damn you." he hissed and anger was holding back his grief. He punched the tree again, imagining it was in/famous great/grandfather, Rezo. He venilated his fury onto the poor tree until its turned into splinters and his knuckles cracked and bled. He stopped and fell on his knees, burying his face into his bruised hands all the while the rain offering its freshness to cool off his fury.

"What's the purpose to beat up a tree, Zel?" A concerned blonde mercenary came up next to him. He put his hand on the trembling chimera's shoulder.

"I....I don't know...it was just there.." he muttered refraining to look up at his good friend.

"Oh....you're still mad what that red guy did to you, huh?" Gourry asked, he didn't say anything, he only stared at the ground and slammed his fist to it. "I take that as a yes." Gourry took his hand off his shoulder, he gave Zel an unhappy look and offered his hand to help him up. Noticing, he accepted his friend's hand and stood up. The blonde was too noticing something, both his knuckles and fingerless gloves were bloodied. "You should get that healed, better ask one of the girls to heal you, 'peferably Lina'."

Zel shrugged. "I'll be okay. I can heal them myself." saying in a I-don't-care-tone. In silence, both walked back to their overnight shelter.

"Hey Zel, why don't you want Lina to know how you feel for her?"

The young man stopped for a moment, slowly turning to his nosy friend, "I already told you, Aez, and Val earlier today....It's.none.of.your.busines!" he realized that he pratically growled at him and saw Gourry's hurt face, he let out a sigh. "I'm sorry friend. I didn't mean for it to come out like that. It's just.....she deserves the best and I definetly don't deserve her. That's why I need to find my cure with more urgencey." he stared back at the ground.

"Zel, listen....I know I'm not a smart guy or anything....but I definetly know for sure that Lina don't care about that. She loves you for you, man. The girls told us that she confessed her feelings for you when they saw her crying one time. Amelia was shocked and kinda took it hard, but luckily she got over it when she started to realize that she really loves your cousin, ever since he confessed how he felt strongly for her and not Lina." He looked at his usually dumb friend and realized he's not so dumb after all, Although there may be moments when you wondered how he even remember his own name.... he gave a weak smile. Gourry returned it by using his wonderful smile. "So....are you going to tell her?"

"No." Both frowned.

"Zel, I don't want to offend you at all, but are you sure Aez and you are related to each other? I mean, he got more guts to confess his feelings than you do."

"I'm very sure he's my cousin by blood."

Gourry brightened face darken, he sighed "Lina is like a little sister to me and I don't want her to get hurt...especially when it comes to her heart. If you won't tell her anything about your love for her soon, she's going to leave you alone and never come back then I might have to hurt you for hurting my little sister." he looks sternly at Zel "Are you willing to sacrifice your love for her for you idiotic cure? Do you want to risk losing Lina for good?" giving him a more serious tone, Zel's eyes opened wide in shock and fear, he later looked down, ashamed. Gourry softened his expression. "Zel, listen, you're my best friend. I have alway consider you as a younger brother and a noble fighting comrade, I also don't want you to get hurt....but if you two don't stop ignoring each other and confess, I'm going to do something drastic and you don't want to provoke me." he gave his brother-at-arms another severe look.

All Zel could do is to feel ashamed again, he never heard nor seen his blonde friend behave this way. "Gourry, I....I....I don't know what to do, I feel distressed...I haven't even thought about Lina's feelings. I alway assumed she considered me as just a good friend, and only a friend, nothing more, nothing less."

Gourry smiled gently "You'll know what to do when the time is right, now since I told you....just don't keep her waiting long...she gets pretty impatient you know."

Zel felt very relieved at listening to Gourry's love advice. Who knew? he smiled warmly "Thank you Gourry, you are the only one who seems to understand better than any of us."

"Hey, what are friends for? Better go to sleep...it's almost dawn and the rain had stopped completely." They went in and the tired chimera found a spot, by pure coincidence,( ^_~) a large area by where his love is sleeping (an: anyone wants to raise his/her hand if you know that the crew set up another trick?). He walked carefully over the others, took off his cloak, and made it into a pillow. He laid down a few feet away from Lina, turn to his side, facing her tear-streaked face and also noticed a balled up humid hankerchief in her gentle hands. My poor Lina-chan...I promise I will confess to you before I leave again.

He felt his heartbeat quickened a bit when he heard a soft, sad sigh then he was certained the felt his heart breaking thru it's stone barrier when he heard her muttered timidly "Oh Zel...why?" he inwardly sobbed when he observed her tears flowing lightly again. I need to talk to her...alone, but it's going to have to be in the morning. Think....think...yes..I'll tell her to meet me by the fishing pond...better yet....I gotta let Gourry know, I need him to explain to the others and I'll help Lina with the fishing... He kept thinking how is he going to finally confess to her, he then fell into the sweet slumber.


Chapter 4   |   Story Index   |   Fanfiction