Part 5


Lina gazed up at the mural on the north wall of the bare room. "Maybe a little more red? ... Hmmm ..."

She idly mixed up a new shade of red as she contemplated her work. A faint whisper of sound drew her attention to the doorway leading to the rest of the small house. Firia smiled at her, carrying a tray of food, mostly a bowl of soup and a loaf of fresh brown bread. Firia shook her head, her expression amused.

Lina smiled sheepishly. "I worked through dinner again, didn't I? I'm sorry Firia ... it's just that I finally got the right shade of purple." She gestured towards a portion of the picture, drawing Firia's gaze to it. Firia nodded thoughtfully, a deep sadness showing in her eyes. Her hands flew in in a series of gestures Lina had long ago grown proficient in understanding.

"I'm glad you think I caught him correctly ... It took me a long time to find the right way to protray him."

Another series of gestures.

"It was hard to do Zel ... I miss him so much ... I guess no more than you miss Xeros, right? It's amazing that either of us came out as well as we did after the shock ... "

Quick flutterings of Firia's hands, completed with a firm solemnity.

"I would have survived? ... maybe, but I think I'd be off gibbering somewhere ... or suicidal."

A questioning set.

"Yes, I did think about suicide for a while ... but it would only have hurt everyone else even more."

A set of smooth movements, with a stern look on Firia's face.

"You're right ... That we don't know why they did it hurts even more ..."

Both women turned to look at the mural, at the faces of their beloveds caught in paint and plaster. A single glance exchanged, and Lina spoke what they were both thinking.

"We don't know why they commited a mutual murder ... and suicide."


Rezo stood at the base of the stairs, tapping his foot impatiently.

"Coming!" Zelas's voice floated down from above, the click of her heels becoming louder as she hurried down the stairs. Rezo gave her a quick kiss when she was on the third step from the bottom, the stairs placing her at the same height as himself.

Zelas smiled as she stepped down to stand beside Rezo, quickly putting an earring into her left ear. She looked back up the stairs, a bit impatient. "Children! It's time to leave!"

A pounding rumble started somewhere above there heads and worked it's way down the stairs, soon resolving into five children of varying ages, the youngest being six, the oldest, eighteen.

Rezo frowned slightly, counting heads and coming up two short. He looked at the eldest, directing his question to the young lady. "Where are your older brothers, Mara?"

Mara shrugged, her jaw moving rapidly as she chewed her gum. She was currently going through a punk stage, and had dyed her hair green and cut it in a mohawk. The youngest, Mala, piped up with the answer. "Zelros and Xeadis are in the gaming room, Papa."

Rezo ruffled her hair, smiling down at the little girl. "Thanks, punkin. Zelas, why don't you go ahead and take these ones to the festival while I go talk to our oldest?"

"Sure, honey. Gather round, children. It's time to go." And with a gesture, Zelas and the children were gone, leaving Rezo to head back up the stairs.


Part 6   |   Story Index   |   Fanfiction