Dreaming in Roses


Ok ... this wasn't quite working. Neither Lina nor Amelia had shown up at the meeting spot, and there were only so many times Xeros could lead Zel through it before the chimera got suspicious. That and the rosebushes were begining to show signs of wear and tear. New tactic!

Step one: trip chimera into fountain.

Xeros headed in the direction of the fountain, and less than twenty feet from, dropped to the ground and used his body to trip Zel. Zel went flying into the fountain. At the cost of some rather pleasant bodily pain, step one was acheived. Problem was, the chimera was now swearing, trying to pull himself out of the deep fountain and slipping on the sides.

Step two: knock out chimera with repeated application of staff to back of chimera's head.

A quick teleport took care of applying step two, albeit Xeros had to catch Zel to keep him from drowning.

Step three: make sure chimera is presentable

"That's going to be a problem ... Really, Zel-kun, where do you buy those clothes, the worst second-hand peddler of Sairaag?" Xeros tugged thoughtfully on the plain white sleeve of Zel's shirt. A thoughtful look passed over Xeros's face, quickly followed by a wicked grin. "I know just what to put you in!"


It is lovely here ... the varied of scents of the roses drifting in the air, the glow of the flowers in the light of the lanterns ... Zel would like this. Even now, he keeps coming into my thoughts ... I wonder if he thinks of me ...

"Miss Lina? I heard there was a fountain that grants wishes here!" Amelia chirped, tugging on my arm.

I admit, that made me curious. Maybe it could grant my wish ... "Why don't we go look for it?"

Maybe it'll grant my wish ... I hope it does ... Amelia's hand upon my arm jarred me from my thoughts. Why does she look so serious?

"Miss Lina, the fountain won't work unless you're wearing one of the roses!" She gave me a stern look. "And you can't pick it with your eyes open, it has to be a surprise!"

Such silliness for a simple fountain ... why not, I'll do it. I close my eyes and reach for a rose. If my hand get's scratched, it'll be easy to heal. That's strange ... the stem feels smooth ... it broke! Just a light pull, and it broke! Amelia's fingers, pulling the rose from my hand and fastening it in my hair. Her smile when I opened my eyes. And her frown when I reached up to pull the rose out so I can look at it. "No! The charm won't work if you look at the rose!"

"This is stupid ... What the heck, can't harm to go along."

With shared grins, both of us set off to find the fountain.


Part 6   |   Story Index   |   Fanfiction