Fantasy of Swords


Author's Notes

This is a continuation of the Eclipse of Dreams series, and the reason behind the change in title should be obvious. ^_^

Other than that the first person narrative has switched people.


Oh Gourry-sama . . . why did it have to be you?

Out of all the men I've met, why did it have to be you that I fell in love with? But you were so sweet and kind, so honest and brave ... . I know you're not that smart, but you're so nice to me ... I missed you, when you left Sairaag. You're in my dreams, am I in yours? Did you miss me? I've tried all I can think of, except saying the words outright. And you tend to not notice at all. Oh dear.


"Are you sure this is a good idea?" Amelia piped in nervously, looking out over the shadowy lawn surround the hut she and Xeros were attempting to break into.

"Come now, do you expect Gourry to pick up that Sylpheel loves him without any prodding?" Xeros replied calmly, prying another bar from the window and dropping it to the grass with a quiet thud. The next bar didn't land with a thud, but a thunk, and the princess slapped her hand over her mouth to stifle her yelp of pain.

Xeros chuckled silently, feeling Amelia's silent fury rise in the flower-scented air. However, the bar to the head had not been planned, and was simple happenstance. He had plotted out a fairly simple way of getting Gourry to notice Sylpheel in areas other than her cooking.

Step 1: Retrieve her diary.

Amelia squirmed through the small hole, squeaking once when Xeros pushed on an indelicate spot trying to shove her through. Him impatience showed as he fidgeted while she looked around the room.

Xeros jumped when Amelia's hand suddenly thrust out of the room, the diary clenched between her fingers. "Ah, good."

Step 2: Plant the diary where Gourry will notice it.

Amelia gave a yelp of pain when Xeros yanked her out of the room by her arm. Ignoring that, he darted across the lawn, dragging her along behind him and not listening to her swearing. All of the men had voted to take individual cottages on the far side of the lawn over rooms in the main building. Gourry's was easy to find, as he was the one snoring the loudest. Zel still had his lights on, and Xeros made a mental note to check on that.

Amelia peered into the room as Xeros worked on removing bars again. "What a mess!"

Xeros paused in his work to take a look inside. " ... you're definitely right. Ugh, what is that?"

"I think it's the barbequed pig we had when we arrived ... of course, it's hard to tell from just the bones. Especially when they're covered in mold, yuck!"

"I think that mold's starting to evolve into a sentient life form."

"And just what are you two doing?"

Lina's voice came from behind them, causing them both to turn around. And stare in shock, in Amelia's case. Lina was leaning on the sill of one of the windows in Zel's cottage, wrapped in a sheet and nothing else.

"M-miss Lina! Just what have you been doing?!" Amelia stuttered out before Xeros clapped a hand over her mouth. His comment was along far different lines, and made Lina blush a bit. "I wouldn't have thought that would be posssible, after all, he does have a skin of stone."

"Just goes to show what you know. Where there's a will, there's a way." Lina snapped back, still blushing a bit even though her expression was cheerful. Her face grew solemn, although the blush still on her cheeks marred the expression somewhat. "Now, just what were you two - ulp!"

The blush grew even redder, and Lina swatted at someone behind her, presumably Zel. "Not now!"

Zel's low chuckle could be heard quite clearly as Lina was yanked away from the window. The murmur of Lina and Zel's voices drifted easily in the night air. Xeros rather prudishly covered Amelia's ears when he figured out just what the two were talking about. He leaned over to look Amelia in the eyes, being careful to not uncover her ears. "Shall we call this a botch?"

Amelia nodded rapidly, wanting nothing other than to get out of there. In mutual agreement, both scurried off to their respective room or cottage.


Part 8   |   Story Index   |   Fanfiction