Part 14


Lina huddled up against the tank, tears pouring from her eyes, her body racked with sobs. Thoughts raced through her mind, emotions that she had kept to herself racing through her, her heart aching with their intesity.

He's dying and I'll never get to tell him how much I love him He's leaving me I love him I can't tell him I need him I need him to get better I need him with me I don't deserve him What can I be A woman trapped in a child's body He doesn't need me I need him I love him So kind and gentle yet so cruel at times I accept the cruelty as I can be cruel I love him I don't want to be alone any more Gourry's too dumb I can't relate to him I need you Zel I love you Please get better I need you I needyouneedyouhereneedyouloveyou needyouwithme

Lina's thoughts circled through her head, causing tears to well anew, her heart aching and raw.

I waited so long to show you waited too long you'll be gone and I'll never get to tell you NO you'll get better you'll be with me I need to tell you I love you Iloveyou Please recover get better I need you I love you please stay with me so many left me mommy and daddy died and left me sis never wanted me I need you with me Zel I love you please come back to me come back comeback get better heal please heal Zel anyone out there please heal him heal Zel I need him Ineedhim I need him to stay with me Idon'twanttobealoneanymorepleaseheal him help him live healZelhealZel Ilovehim Ican'tlethimgoIneedhimpleasehealZel.....

And someone heard her. And granted her wish.


The brown blobs in the tank began to circle about, melding with each other, shaping into a vaguely humanoid form. It was a very simple thing for it to shatter the glass of the tank.


They all jumped when the alarm sounded. Washu's eyes widened in horror when she identified the alarm. "The masses have escaped!!"

It took Ryoko less time than it had been said to fly off in defense of the lab, in an attempt to capture the masses. Yosho and Rezo were mostly confused. "The masses?"

"The ultimate basic life form. I had a sample of them in the bio lab. The first time they got loose, Ryo-Ohki gained her bipedal form ... and Tenchi nearly lost his life. Yosho, Rezo, you stay here and keep an eye on the patients. If it comes in here, don't move! If it finds you a threat, it will blast you. Not even one of Jurai's most powerful battleships could survive a blast from the masses." Washu spoke as she packed up a kit of various darts and sleep potions. "I just hope we can neutralize it before it becomes scared."

With those parting words, she darted out the door.


There were beings searching for it. It recognized some of them from the first time, the time of becoming. But many of these were new, and it avoided them. The place it needed to go was not far away. It checked up on the brain, the one who had given it purpose. The brain was still unconscious, but the brain's will was no less strong. Happiness bubbled through it. It had a purpose again. It would do as the brain asked.


Yosho froze when the brown figure appeared in the door of the lab, Lina cradled in it's arms.

"Rezo, don't move." Yosho was careful to not let his voice get higher than a whisper.


There was more than one brain here! It hovered, indecisive as to which was the true brain. It had to obey the brain. Setting the first brain upon the floor, it split apart, a small portion of it melding with the first brain. The rest continued with the original objective, the second brain, shattering the material that kept it away. The second brain was dying! It followed the first brain's objective, weaving itself into the second brain, merging with it, becoming it.


Part 15   |   Story Index   |   Fanfiction