Part 7: Broken Bonds


Red held the edge of her blanket, her hands trembling from the tight grasp. She breathed slowly, and looked up again.

The inn around her was the same. Nothing different.

Then why did I see people barging in? the Dragon Sister wondered.

It wasn't the first time she had these kinds of visions. Ever since she started traveling with Zelgadis and Naga, Red had overwhelming memories and terrifying visions.

If this keeps up, I'll go insane. Red shuddered, pulling her blanket around her. Is this what happened to Naga? Oh, I'm sorry if it did...

It had been a year.

A year of fun, adventure, and bandits.

A year of nocturnal insanity.

During the year, she had seen other Dragon Sisters. She had even seen Blue, traveling. It was doubtful that the Dragon Sisters had recognized their warrior Sister now...

Red stepped out of bed, and pulled her hair back in the ribbon she had acquired, looking at her reflection.

Fiery hair cut brutally short.

A shirt that covered her dragon.

World weary ruby eyes.

It wasn't Lina Inverse, as far as she knew, who was looking back at her. And it wasn't the Red Dragon Sister either.

"Red?"

She turned around, startled at the male voice. "Zel? That you?"

The chimera opened the door, and looked around it. "Is something wrong, Red? I thought I heard you..." He blushed. "Moaning."

Red blushed as well. "Another vision," she said softly. The girl made a "come in" gesture. "I-it scared me..."

Zel stepped in, and closed the door behind him. "What happened?"

Shivering, Red told him. "I-I was in a room like this one. I think... I was angry for some reason. Suddenly, these... people... burst in and tried to ambush me..."

Zelgadis simply wrapped his arms around her. "Shh. It's alright."

Red sighed, burying her face in his hard chest. A year ago, at her first nightmare, Zel had promised to help her get through her dreams and visions with the minimal loss of sanity.

She had forgotten when they had become lovers.

"Zel?" she whispered. "What if I can't ever remember? What if... I never really was Lina Inverse? What if... I go insane?"

"'What ifs' don't matter, Red," the chimera said fiercely. "I'll deal with each if they appear. All that matters is that you're safe and sane now."

She nodded, then, "Are we still going to Sailoon?"

"Yes." He smoothed back part of her short red hair. "Get some sleep. I'll see you in the morning."

Red gulped. "Z-zel, if you would, please... Would you sleep with me? In my bed, I mean, not..." My face MUST be burning off, she thought as a blush heated her cheeks.

Zel opened his mouth to answer as it started.

It was, at first, just a slightly stronger wind current. It picked up in strength quickly, tearing some boards loose and shattering whatever pottery was in the room. Both Red and Zelgadis dove out the window, standing in time to see Naga do the same.

"What's goin' on?!" the still wobbly Naga asked, the beer she had for supper reflected in her eyes.

"I don't know!" Red screamed over the whipping wind. She whipped her head around, looking for... "Oh, SHIT!"

Zel and Naga followed her gaze, and Red hear Zel swear softly under his breath. "A Mazoku," he shouted at Naga. The sorceress threw him a frosty look, and drew herself up tall in preparation for her laugh.

"OHOHOHOHOH! Who are you, Mazoku, who would dare attack Naga the White Serpent?!"

Red watched Zel's ears twitch in pain, and covered them as Naga wound up for another laugh.

"Never heard of you."

Both Red and Zel snickered at the simply astonished look on Naga's face. "She deserved that one," the chimera said to her, and Red nodded, trying to smother her giggles as she looked over the Mazoku.

A sense of déjà vu overtook her as she saw what the Mazoku looked like exactly. Vaguely human shaped, it was a troll/berserker mix with empty eye sockets.

I've fought it before... I know I have...

Zel stepped back, and raised his arm in a spell casting position. "Elmekia Lance!"

Red placed a hand to her head, and bent over slightly as a wave of dizziness passed through her. She winced as something raked across her back, and noticed the shirt she had worn for the day was pretty ruined. Oh, well, she thought, ripping off the bottom of the shirt. I hope this Mazoku doesn't know about the Dragon Sisters, because I'm going to have fun kicking his ass from here to oblivion. An evil smile crossed her face.

"Hey, you!" She stood up tall, her ripped shirt flapping in the strong, magically created wind. "I'm going to kick your ass for interrupting my sleep!"

The eye sockets widened slightly, then relaxed as it snickered. "The mighty Lina Inverse is now a Dragon Sister?" It started laughing harder. "Getting this meal will be no trouble!"

The dragon on her stomach started wavering as she blinked, placing a hand to her head. Naga took the opening, and raised her hand. "Demona Crystal!" The fog started and...

Dissipated. The Mazoku just looked at her, smug. "Wonderful job, really."

Red stood up, her ruby eyes lit with a fiery light. The dragon on her abdomen stretched, then contracted again. "Yo, asshole!" She stood tall, smirking. "I've had a long day, and you aren't helping much." A glowing light appearing in her hands.

"Lina!" Zelgadis cried, the name ripped from his throat.

Memory

The dragon stretching, "waking up" as their memories were awakened. The Dragon Sister hesitated, then threw the light, her voice ringing with the familiar word.

"FIREBALL!"

She stood tall as the Mazoku let the spell hit his shield. "You're messing with the wrong girl!" The redhead smiled recklessly. "I am Lina Inverse, the Red Dragon Sister!

"Tasogare yori mo kuraki mono
Chi no nagare yori akaki mono
Toki no nagare ni uzumore shi
Idai na nanji no na ni oite
Ware, koko ni yami ni chikawan
Warera ga mae ni tachi fusagari shi
Subete no oroka naru mono ni
Ware to nanji ga chikara mote
Hitoshiku horobi o ataen koto o!
DRAGU SLAVE!"

As the dust faded, Lina turned around, and made a V-sign with her hand.

"Victory."


Notes

You guys are probably wondering what I meant by the black rose in the previous chapter, and are probably thinking I'll explain it by the end. Well, guess what. There is only the epilogue after this one. So when will I explain the rose? Thanks to support on this story, I've decided to write the flip side of the Dragon Sisters, that is, the Demon Sisters. And in that, I'll explain the rose as well as tell you who will be the Knight of Shabranigdo. Aren't I nice?


Epilogue   |   Fanfiction