Amelia


Zelgadis pulled the face mask over his human features, trying to pretend he was still a chimera. Two days, huh? he thought, slight depression passing over him. And I have to talk to Amelia and Lina. Damn you, Xellos... But the curse was half-hearted at best.

His amethyst eyes closed, the last gift Xellos had given him. He... did he? Did he love me then? Or... did he do what he said? Did he use me?

And what did he mean be honest with my feelings?

I... I don't love Amelia. That's for certain.

But... Lina?

He was so wrapped up in his thoughts that he didn't hear an upbeat, cheery voice cry out, "Zelgadis-sama!!"

The sun touched over his hood as it set, warning of the short time. "Hello, Amelia," he said, turning away from the Princess.

"Zelgadis-sama, what's wrong?" the sable haired girl asked. "Zelgadis-sama?"

"Amelia, there are things in this world you don't want to hear," he said suddenly. "But you need to hear them."

"Z-zelgadis-sama, you're so serious..." Amelia said, half in awe, half in apprehension.

"I know." A burst of courage flooded through him. His eyes opened, and Zel turned around, showing Amelia the amethyst depths. "I'm always serious."

Amelia took a surprised step back. "A-a-a..." she squeaked out, her cerulean eyes locked on his purple ones. It didn't help that the surrounding skin was very, very human. Slowly, Zel pulled off his mask and hood, showing his now human features.

"Amelia, I don't have much time," he whispered. "Xellos turned me human with his last breath, but now I only have a limited amount of time to talk to you." Zelgadis sighed, and said the words: "I don't love you, Amelia."

"Z-zelgadis-sama..." Dozens of questions flitted through her mind. "What did you mean about Xellos turning you human? Why do you only have a limited amount of time? Why do you have purple eyes? Why - "

"Amelia." Zelgadis held up his hand. "I don't know the answers to most of your questions, and the others, you don't need to know. This is what you need to know, though... you're a sister to me. I don't love you like you love me."

The Princess instantly jumped to the nearest conclusion. "You love Xellos-san." It wasn't a question.

Zel opened his mouth, then closed it. How did he feel toward the Mazoku? And why did Xellos tell him to talk to Lina as well? Then he realized what he had always felt.

I lusted after Xellos... after his experience... after his power... after him.

I... I love Lina.

Something snapped in place as soon as he thought that. Lina... That's why Xellos told Filia that I should be honest with my feelings. He always knew. He knew I loved her.

"Amelia, I don't love Xellos," he said quietly.

The Princess' face brightened at that. "Then... what you said before was a joke! Oh, Zelgadis-sama..."

Zelgadis shook his head. "It wasn't a joke. You're like the sister I never had, nothing more. Xellos... He knew how I felt. And he helped me." Now, for the full truth. Amelia looked at the former chimera with skepticism. "I-I... I lusted after him. Then, when started acting on the feelings, Xellos killed himself." Horror rose in the sable haired girl's face, but Zel callously pushed on. "He pushed my human and golem sides out, leaving the Mazoku. When Filia came by, he took over my body to tell her that he loved her." Unsurprisingly, Amelia smiled softly at that, despite the situation. "He told her that I have to talk to you and Lina before I..."

"Before what?"

Zel swallowed hard. "Before I die," he whispered.

A babble of questions escaped Amelia's throat. Zel answered them, somehow acutely aware of the passing time. The sun started peeking over the horizon when they finished. "Are you satisfied?" he asked softly, a strange weakness slowly filling his limbs.

Amelia nodded, yawning. "Zelgadis-sama... I don't want you to die," she said softly, punctuating the sentence with another yawn.

"Neither do I..." Zelgadis looked up at the rising sun. "I should go."

The Princess started to protest, but it was too late. He was gone, looking for the fiery haired sorceress. A tear ran down her face, and Amelia ran off, crying. Crying for Zelgadis, for Xellos, for Filia, for the love for her that didn't reside in Zel...

Just crying...


Gourry   |   Fanfiction