Chapter 7: Talks


A shadow fell over Luna's notepad, and she smiled. Any good warrior could tell someone was behind them, and though it was a little known fact, the Inverse family was just as good physically as they were magically. Through her magical senses, she could tell that the person was a mixture of things, and one of them was demon. Finally, from the piece of Ceifeed that makes her his Knight, she could tell that the person behind them wasn't alive; the person was a vampire. Over her shoulder, Luna said, "Hello, Zelgadis. I was wondering when you'd come to see me. If you'll wait for a few minutes, my shift will be over."

Zel growled. "I don't think this can wait. Lina almost died tonight, and it's partially your fault."

The fuchsia haired girl ripped off the order, and placed it on the order rack. Then, she turned to him. "Talk. What happened to my imouto-chan?"

He told her. "If you hadn't talked to her," he finished, "she wouldn't have tried to go out when she was weak like that."

Luna sat down at the closest vacant table. "Really. Zelgadis, do you realize why she went out?" She looked up at him, and her bangs parted slightly, giving the chimera a glimpse of ruby eyes. Lina's eyes, he realized with a shock. "You two are bonded in a way you can't break," she continued. "If I hadn't talked to her, she would have gone out simply to see you again, for a reason she couldn't explain. And, perhaps, she would have died."

Zelgadis sat down next to her. "Lina's my... friend. And I don't want her to die. But I think you need to tell me what you know, and how."

"Just your friend?" Luna brushed her bangs straight back, allowing Zel to see a rare sight: her face. If it wasn't for the immense maturity in the face, and the purple tinged red hair, people would think she was Lina. Her ruby eyes sparkled with amusement. "Friend? I doubt it. She's more to you, isn't she? You love her." Her hair fell back into her face, hiding the shockingly familiar face.

Stunned, Zel said, "I-I do. I do love her. If she dies... I don't know. I just love her, and I don't want to be away from her longer than I have to." He blinked, and shook his head. "You look too much like her. I thought sisters looked similar, not alike."

"Hm. Well, we aren't twins, if you're wondering." She smiled. "But, Zelgadis..." The Knight of Ceifeed touched his hand, serious. "Don't. You. Hurt. My. Imouto-chan. I promise, you will regret it if you do."

Zel nodded. "I don't plan on hurting her. Demo..." He stood up. "I want to talk to her again. I want to see her."

Luna grabbed his wrist. "It'll be easier if you tell them then to sneak around. The princess knows now; the only person who doesn't know is the swordsman. Just tell them you aren't dead. You don't have to let them know about what you are."

The chimera removed her hand from his wrist. "I'll remember. But right now, I just want to talk to Lina."

Luna stood up, then kissed his cheek. "You are almost family to me," she explained. "The bond you have is tighter than any marriage. If either of you get hurt, I will kill whomever hurt either of you." She pulled him into a headlock. "Do you understand?"

Zelgadis coughed. "Perfectly. Can you let me go now?"

She did so, and tilted her head. "I didn't think you had to breathe."

"I was having trouble talking," he said sourly. "You have her temper. Or she has yours."

Luna chuckled. "My fuse is longer than hers, but our tempers are equally scary when ignited." She pointed to the rooms part of the inn. "Go see my imouto-chan, before I get angry." When he hesitated, she pushed him. "Go!"

And he left. The Knight shook her head in amusement. "That was the most amusing thing I have seen since the Ryuzoku that thought I was Xellos," she said, laughing as she thought about the event. "Oh..."


Chapter 8   |   Fanfiction