Part 14: Escape! Which way to the nearest exit?


Lingual notes:

  1. mente como federale = lies like a fed
  2. chica = girl
  3. verdad = truth (in this case used as 'right')
  4. mis manos = my hands
  5. isleños = islanders

Author's Note:

Once again Raily Vincent, the Sailor Senshi, Lina Inverse, Zelgadis Greywers, Molly, Alex, and Amanda all belong to their various owners.


Water dripped off the damp walls. Her arms and feet chained to the slick stone walls of the cell, 'Dancer slumped lifelessly, the absolute picture of a broken spirit. Molly, standing outside the cell, felt her heart sink. Did 'Dancer inhaled too much of Alex's knock out gas? In small quantities, Molly knew, it was an effective, but temporary determent. In concentrated form and the way Amanda liked to use it , it could cause lasting brain damage. Fearful of what she might find, but more determined to know the truth, Molly unlocked the door and entered the cell.

" 'Dancer-kun. 'Dancer-kun." She called softly, nearing the motionless form.

" 'Dancer-kun, please, wake up." When 'Dancer didn't respond she reached over and gently shook 'Dancer's shoulder. A second later she was slammed up against the wall, the chain attached to 'Dancer's right arm looped around her neck.

"You two-timing, back stabbing, chicken legged, sweet tongued, mente como federale traitor!" 'Dancer hissed, glaring at her sideways. "I might not escape, but you're dead!" She yanked hard against the chain restraining her, throttling Molly.

"Ch-chotto!" Molly gargled. "I-I need y-your arkkkk!" 'Dancer's pissed look didn't change and Molly began to really feel desperate. "F-for Ze-el!" she choked.

'Dancer suddenly released her and she fell to the floor gasping for breath.

"What about Zel?" 'Dancer demanded. Molly drew her legs under her, her white pants stained by the slime-mold growing on the floor.

"I ...need ...your ...help ...to free ...him." She panted. 'Dancer's expression set into unreadable lines.

"How?"

"That's why I need your help. I don't know how." Molly gingerly rubbed her bruised neck. 'Dancer snorted.

"In case you hadn't noticed, I'm a little tied up at the moment."

"That I can fix. Will you help me?" She looked questioningly up at the chained Latina. 'Dancer rolled her eyes. "Like I have a choice? Bueno, get me out of these fetters."

Molly unlocked the shackles, and 'Dancer rubbed feeling back into her hands and feet. "Oh, and you might want these." Molly pulled a pair of sais out from under her vest. 'Dancer hefted them, then looked puzzled.

"These aren't the ones I took from Sail-, from that black haired chica." Molly looked impressed. "You can tell just by holding them? You're good. We had to give those back to Hono'o. These were in the store room with the other weapons taken from other criminals."

"Bueno. Let's go."


"You know, he's actually pretty cute, when he's a sleep." Amanda commented, leaning against the bars of Zelgadis's cell.

"You think so? Well, it looks like he'll be asleep for most of the journey to Saaphiro, the way he wakes up and keeps trying to caste spells." Both bounty hunters shared a chuckle at Zelgadis's expense.

"Speaking of spells, have you seen Molly?" Amanda asked as the duo turned away and walked downstairs. "Oh, yeah, she went back to the inn to see if she couldn't beg for her job back."

Hidden in the shadows 'Dancer and Molly waited for them to pass before they raced to Zelgadis's cell.

"Psst, Zel, it's us!" 'Dancer tried to rouse him as Molly hastily unlocked the door. "Oye, Zel! Zel? What did your friends do to Zel?" 'Dancer asked from Zelgadis's side. Molly walked over.

"They didn't do anything. He's not waking up because of that crown." She pointed to a thin circlet of gold resting on his forehead.

"Huh? I'll just tak-AY!" Sparks flew from where 'Dancer touched the gold band.

"Shh! You'll bring Amanda and Alex back up here!" Molly hissed.

"What in the nine hells is that?" 'Dancer shook her hand until the feeling came back into it.

"A containment crown."

"A what?"

"A containment crown. You know, like King Monkey's."

"The monkey-god of mischief with the extending rod?" Molly nodded.

"I though the Monkey King's crown only caused a major headache when Monkey did something bad." 'Dancer looked down at sleeping Zelgadis.

"Well, containment crowns generally electrocute the wearer when they attempt to use magic, but..." Molly blushed a little suddenly. 'Dancer eyed her.

"But...?"

"Well... I kinda interrupted Alex when she was creating the crown and instead of zapping a person when they try to use magic, it just makes them fall asleep."

'Dancer shook her head disbelieveingly.

"At least one of us will be well rested." She remarked dryly to the snoozing chimera. She looked up at Molly again. "So what's your plan for getting this off of him?"

Molly sighed. "You were. I was hoping your spell-sickness would break the enchantment of the crown." It was 'Dancer's turn to sigh. "So now what? Do you know a....a magic word or...some release code?" Molly shook her head and studied the ground mournfully.

"Perfecto." 'Dancer looked at Zelgadis again and wondered what he'd do. Something seemed out of place and 'Dancer took a closer look, grabbing a handful of his wiry hair and moving his head from side to side, intently staring at something.

"What is it?" 'Dancer titled Zelgadis's head to one side again before she answered.

"This crown, it's not sitting right. Look, it's actually sitting on top of his ears." She pointed to where Zelgadis's ears jutted out from under the circlet.

"Yes..." Molly said slowly. "Alex had to put it on in a hurry. Zelgadis-sama threw off the effects of the knock out gas quicker than she'd expected." 'Dancer let go of Zelgadis's hair and crouched down level with his face. Zelgadis-sama, huh?

"Nose turns down, cheeks are the widest point. Face symmetrical, crown doesn't rest actually on the forehead." 'Dancer muttered sitting Zelgadis up for a moment. "Hmmmmm..." She turned to Molly. "Come over here and sit behind him, holding him up like this." She demonstrated, and Molly complied getting Zelgadis to sit up straight. His head lolled forward. 'Dancer examined him again, then shook her head. "You're going to have to hold him another way, Molly, I don't want you to touch the crown." Molly sighed and slide her arms around his stomach rather than holding him up by his torso.

"And quite frowning, it's not like you'll get another chance to hug Zel, you know."

Molly blushed and made a face at 'Dancer. "I'd prefer him to be awake to enjoy it." She grumbled. 'Dancer smiled faintly. "Are you kidding? That's likely to set him into shock. Can you hold his head up?"

"I've only got two hands!" Molly said irritably.

"The lean him against you a little to free up one hand." 'Dancer advised. "Why don't you hold his head up?" Molly snapped.

"Because I'm gonna need both hands." 'Dancer ripped two long strips from the blanket that had been covering Zelgadis.

"Why? What are you going to do?" 'Dancer wrapped her hands in the strips.

"If conventional means don't work, I tend to fall back on brute strength."

"Nani?"

'Dancer pointed to the crown. "I can't pull this off, ¿verdad?" Molly nodded. "So, instead, I'm going to push it, down," 'Dancer traced a line from Zelgadis's head to his shoulders. "to here, where it should break when it comes in contact with his shoulders." She tapped his shoulder.

"Chotto, chotto, the force it would take to break the crown would also break his collar bone." Molly argued. "Besides, how are you going to generate that much force?"

"You're forgetting that he's a chimera, Molly." 'Dancer rapped on his head. "Hard as stone, see? No amount of force I create can hurt him, and believe me, I've tried. And before you ask, yes I really am that strong."

"I was going to ask you what we were going to do when this failed." Molly groused.

"I guess we'll just burn that bridge when we get to it." 'Dancer replied flippantly, standing over Zelgadis and placing her hands a fist-length above his head. "You might want to turn your head to one side, in case sparks fly." She warned. Then rising hands just the tiniest bit 'Dancer did a double downward palm-heel strike, putting all her strength and weight behind it.

"KI!"

Twin showers of sparks arced as 'Dancer slammed the circlet down. The crown snapped unevenly and 'Dancer barely kept hold of the smaller half. Throwing the pieces into the far corner she almost didn't get her arms up in time to shield her face before the broken crown exploded.

"Iteeeeeee." Whimpered Molly, having been thrown to one side by the explosion. 'Dancer picked herself up off the floor, and stared at the man sized hole in the wall.

"Sssssssss, mis manos." She hissed suddenly, and pulled the charred cloth strips off. The skin of her palms were blistered and swollen. I devoutly hope that Molly is right about my spell-sickness. she grimaced, bandaging her hands hastily as Molly shook Zelgadis awake.

Zelgadis blinked awake even as footsteps were heard running up the stairs.

"Molly, I was taken to the dungeon so my spell-sickness wouldn't interfere with the crown, right?" 'Dancer asked as she made for the stairs.

"Hai! Where-"

"I'm going to divert them. If they're busy with me around, they can't fireball you while you're escaping." She waved briefly as she turned the corner to the stairs. A second later she popped her head back around the corner.

"Zel, get your blue ass outta here. THAT'S an order."

Racing down the spiral staircase at full tilt 'Dancer knocked down Amanda, lept over Alex, and managed to think up some interesting names to call them as she contiued on her way.

"I'll take care of her, go check on Zelgadis!" Alex hollered, chasing after 'Dancer. Amanda pulled herself to her feet and contiued up the stairs.

"You can't catch me you chicken-necked, bow legged, post Renaissance, pre-pubescent adolecent!" 'Dancer stuck out her tounge and pulled down on an eyelid. "Beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeda!"

"Why yo-, nobody calls me pre-pubescent and gets away with it!" Alex screamed.

"Your chest is flat, too!"

Alex's face turned crisimon. "Yaro- FREEZE..." 'Dancer reached the bottom of the stairs and turned the corner.

"ARrow? Where'd she go?" Alex looked around. 'Dancer suddenly stepped out to the right of her and flipped her the bird.

"Ku- SHIINE!" Alex hurled the freeze arrow at 'Dancer with all her might. The ice arrow smashed dead on target...

...Into a mirror. The mirror promptly iced up, then majestically teetered and fell over on top of the stunned sorceress.

"Hmmm... so magic sometimes does work around me. I just I'll have to be more careful, ¿ sí ?" 'Dancer smiled innocently at the rubble covered magic user, and whistling, casually walked out the front door.

And was mildly distressed to bump into Vincent.

"You!" They said at the same time.

"Oh, look at the time, sorry, love to stay and chat, but I left dinner in the microwave. Bye!" 'Dancer fled past bounty hunter. Vincent didn't even blink, drawing her weapon and pointing it at the fleeing Latina.

"Shiine." She said in an emotionless voice.

"LINA INVERSE, YOU'RE A DEAD WOMAN!!!!!" Amanda threw open the door at that second and knocked Vincent down. Alex, leaning heavily against Amanda brought to Amanda's attention the high perturbed bounty hunter laying in a heap at the bottom of the stairs.

"Oops."


"Looks like 'Dancer's having fun." Molly remarked from Zelgadis's conjured bubble. Zelgadis just shook his head.

"She's worst than Lina..." He murmured to no one in particular. The bubble floated above the city unnoticed.


Aya Gaia, what is this, a friggin' bounty hunter convention?!? 'Dancer wondered dodging Kori's sword attack.

"Shiine!" Shouted Hono'o leaping over the blue and white clad girl, her sais flashing brightly.

"Does everyone want to kill me?" 'Dancer asked aloud, ducking under Hono'o's attack and leg sweeping her. Hono'o tripped and tumbled on top of Kori as Seiryoku thrust her spear in right behind Hono'o. 'Dancer flinched as the spear ripped the her tunic and just barely sliced the flesh under her ribs but she pinned the spear under her arm, and pulled the blond into the way of the brunette's aim. Inazuma shouted at her leader to move as 'Dancer took advantage of the momentary confusion to leap frog over Kori and disappear down an alley.

Hands stinging from the fleeting usage 'Dancer put as much distance as she could between herself and the Justice Scouts. Finally, when she could hear no further sounds of pursuit, she stopped and doubled over from lack of air, panting in the dim shadows of late afternoon.

I have got to get out of this place. Straightening up she leaned back against a building and stared up at the sky. I want out. Funny, I can recall wanting out the day I met Zel. She closed her eyes and let the shade of the buildings cool her. Something stirred at the end of the alley. 'Dancer opened her eyes and peered into the gathering gloom. A tallish woman in curious armor stood there.

"Lina?" She asked in a calm, clear voice.

'Dancer shook her head wearily. " 'Dancer, 'Dancer Saisan. Not that anyone believes me."

The woman walked forward, seeming almost to glide, so flawless were her steps. She stop a scant foot away from 'Dancer, and 'Dancer blinked, not remembering her getting that close. The woman scrutinized 'Dancer carefully.

"You're not Lina." She said finally, moving away. She bowed formally to 'Dancer, and 'Dancer, feeling compelled by courtesy to do the same, was more than a little disturbed when she looked up again and the woman was gone.

Great, on top of everything else I'm having conversations with ghosts.

"Lina Inverse, I challenge you!" 'Dancer turned and saw Amanda standing at the enterance to the alley, her slim blade drawn. 'Dancer tucked a strand of hair behind her ear.

"Go ahead, have fun challenging someone who's not here." 'Dancer turned and began to walk away.

"Someone who's no- matte! What do you mean, someone who's not here?" Amanda demanded. 'Dancer stopped and faced her.

"What does it sound like? I'm not a Lina, I was not born a Lina, I will not die a Lina. If you're going to challenge a Lina, you're better off finding, a Lina. Sheesh." 'Dancer shook her head and turned away.

"I don't care who the hell you are, I challenge you!" 'Dancer sighed.

"Fine then, I concede. You're the better fighter of the two of us. What more do you want?"

"Your bounty!" Amanda charged 'Dancer sword flashing.

"You won't get a bounty off of me, I'm not Lina." 'Dancer said tiredly, her sais catching the blade. Amanda sprang back before 'Dancer could break her sword.

"Then I'll use your body a bait to trap your friend!" Amanda slashed again, and 'Dancer nearly dropped her sais from the shock of the blow.

"He won't come, he doesn't give a fig about me." Arrrhh, mis manos...

"You're just saying that to protect him!" Amanda snarled, beating 'Dancer back another step.

"If what you said was true, he'd be here now helping me." 'Dancer bumped against the wall of the alley. She glanced back almost haphazardly at the brick wall. "Looks like I'm out of choices." She said, lowering her sais.

"Then die!" Amanda raised her sword over her head and brought it crashing down on top of 'Dancer.

"Pheh, idiota. Didn't your teacher ever tell you never to leave yourself wide open?" 'Dancer asked, slamming a blinding backfist into Amanda's nose. Amanda sort of wilted, holding her nose and sinking to her knees. "Idiotas, both you and Molly."

"What about Molly?" Alex demanded, stepping out of another part of the shadows.

'Dancer smile cruelly. "They're both stupid. Only difference is that Molly's already well on the path to her next life."

"Na-nani? Y-you killed Molly?" Alex stared in horror as 'Dancer smirked.

"Yo-you, you monster." Alex stared at the ground.

" 'Course, it's your fault. If you hadn't recruited her for this wild-Lina chase she would probably still be alive." 'Dancer shrugged, and sheathed her sais. "Funny how you isleños treat your family, like possessions to be used."

Alex visibly trembled. "Molly, oh my god...Molly-chan..."

"And discarded." 'Dancer turned and walked away. That should keep her busy...

"I did not discard her! By all that's holy, I would never have discarded her!" Alex shouted looking up. Tears streamed down her face, but 'Dancer was more intent on the look in her eye.

"For this I can not forgive you!" Alex thrust both hands forward, and 'Dancer felt her skin crawl. Zelgadis struck a similar pose whenever he started casting. "Darkness beyond twilight, crimson beyond the blood that flows..."

That's it, I'm outta here!

If there had ever been a time that 'Dancer had run faster, she couldn't recall, but she was almost at the East Gate when she collided with a town guardsman.

"Whoa, easy there, lass, where's the fire?" Panicking 'Dancer did the only halfway sensible thing she could think of.

"Lina Inverse is chasing me!"

"Lina Inverse?" "Where?" "The Inverse monster?" "Mount a patrol!" "Call out the reserves!" "Where's my helmet?!"

Despite the ensuing hysteria 'Dancer could hear one steely voice raising over the pandemonium.

"DRAGU SLAVE!!!!!!!!!!"


Still high above both Molly and Zelgadis were a little more than startled to see half of the city go up in a mushroom cloud.

"That's Dragu Slave." Zelgadis said flatly.

"Uhuh."

"Does your cousin know Dragu Slave?"

"Uhuh."

"We're doomed."

"Uhuh."


Zelgadis brought his bubble to land near a thick clump of trees.

"No one could have survived that." He whispered, watching the great cloud dissipate in the dying light of the sunset. " 'Dancer has to be dead."

Molly looked at him in concern. He's in shock. She thought sadly, and placed a comforting hand on his shoulder.

"At least, she went out fighting, the way she would have wanted too. " She said quietly.

"The hell I want to go out like that." 'Dancer emerged from behind the duo and flopped down next to Zelgadis.

"Don't ever let go off on my own again like that, Zel. Trouble finds me way too easily in this world." 'Dancer sat up and cocked her head. Neither person moved.

"What are you guys staring at? You look like you've seen a ghost."

"Y- yo-you're alive! You're alive!" Loosing all restraint Molly mobbed her with a bear hug.

"Molly, air is good." 'Dancer whispered, and Molly released her from her crushing hug. "But, ohmigod! You're alive, you survived that Dragu Slave!" Molly brushed a tear away. "We thought you dead. How under the moon did you survive that spell?"

'Dancer smiled broadly.

"Your cousin has a rotten aim. Speaking of whom, I think you'd best go find her. She's something of a personal grudge against me right now and it would be cleared up all the quicker if she saw you alive and whole."

Zelgadis looked at her (if it was at all possible) with even more amazement.

"You told a magic user, capable of summoning that type of power, that you'd killed her cousin?" 'Dancer pretended to think about it. "Yeah, something like that." She smiled innocently.

"Alex caste Dragu Slave for me?" Molly asked in hushed awe.

"Yep."

"Wow." Molly was silent for a moment. "Do you know where she is?" 'Dancer scratched her head, thinking.

"I think I saw her and Amanda being chased by what's left of the town guard to the north." 'Dancer pointed in that general direction.

"Thanks." Molly hugged 'Dancer again. "It's been fun."

"Oh yeah, like the bull runs of Pamplona." 'Dancer nodded seriously. "You take care of yourself, Molly." Molly pulled away, impulsively stole a kiss from Zelgadis and darted off to the north.

"Nice kid. Wish I had one for a cousin." Zelgadis made a gargling noise and 'Dancer nearly didn't catch him in time.

"Snap out of it chico, I'm hurt in too many places to carry you."


Part 15   |   Story Index   |   Fanfiction