Part 18: Fight! We're surrounded!


Author's Note:

A special thanks to Xelloss for the continued updating of his spellbook. And thank you again to Alex and Amanda for being incredibly good sports on the matter of my fanfic.

"]]---[[" indicates that the speakers are speaking a different language.

Lingual notes:

  1. Sabes = you know
  2. no realiza que salvé su vida = can't you see that I saved your life?
  3. Ceiphied's Eye = the Slayer world's version of the North Star


Step one, make a nifty gesture. 'Dancer brought her hands together as if at prayer, sitting cross legged on the ground. Step two, focus, blocking out all outside interruptions. 'Dancer forgot all about her surroundings, concentrating fully on her hands. Step three, the words.

"Source of all power," Her hands grew warm. "Wind which blows to the East," Drawing her hands apart she saw a line of flame. It wasn't as large as she wanted and she redoubled her concentration. The line lengthened accordingly. Step four, key words. "Flare arrow!" The flame stabilized and 'Dancer held it up for Zelgadis to see.

"Well?" She asked anxiously. Zelgadis, standing behind her, (where it was safe) took the offered flare arrow and turned it over in his hands.

"Looks good." He hurled it at a boulder some distance off. The arrow smashed into the rock with a muted explosion, charring the stone.

"Much better than the last one." 'Dancer pinked, remembering the pencil thin arrow from previous.

"Now will you teach me fireball?" She asked winsomely. Zelgadis looked at her crossly.

"Just because you successfully cast flare arrow once does not mean you've mastered it. Cast it again." 'Dancer pouted as she made ready to cast again. Zelgadis dropped a waterskin in her lap.

"And have some water before you cast again."

"But I don't feel sick!" 'Dancer objected, mentally comparing him to a history professor she once had. Zelgadis gave her a steely look.

"You don't now, but after you've cast several times you will. Or need I remind you of what happened with Lady Deidra?" 'Dancer's expression turned murderous, but she took a swig. As soon as I learn fireball, Zel, just as soon as I learn it...

Watching 'Dancer prepare to cast Zelgadis wondered briefly if he'd have to relearn magic once he'd found a way to undo Rezo's curse. "Source of all power, wind which blows to the East, Flare Arrow!" 'Dancer grabbed the arrow before Zelgadis could and threw it off into some trees.

"Ite! Watch where you're throwing those things!" A man in typical bandit attire stood up from behind what used to be some bushes and shouted at them.

"Any particular reason why you let them get so close?" 'Dancer asked Zelgadis, getting to her feet.

"You were getting angry. I thought you'd like to have something to hit." 'Dancer smirked at him. "You know me too well."

"Give us all your valuables and we might let you live." The still smoking bandit snarled.

"Make me." 'Dancer crossed her arms, and stared belligerently at him.

"Kuso! Attack!" A group of about a dozen bandits surged forward.

"FIRE BALL!"

A elegantly tossed fireball incinerated the attacking horde and 'Dancer turned on Zelgadis. "Oye!"

"I didn't do it!" Zelgadis said, backing away from 'Dancer.

"Actually, I did." Stepping dramatically out of the smoke of the fireball was a short redhead.

"Lina?" Zelgadis asked as 'Dancer smacked her head and groaned "Alex". Latina and chimera then looked at each other with puzzled expressions. "Alex?" Asked Zelgadis as 'Dancer queried. "Lina?" 'Dancer looked back at the redhead and considered the remark. "Sabes, now that you mention it, she really does look like Lina..."

Zelgadis looked Alex over incredulously. "Extraordinary. The resemblance is amazing." 'Dancer wrinkled her brow. "Didn't you see Alex up close in Torisantl?" Zelgadis shook his head. "Unconscious, remember?"

"Are you done with comparing me to you absent companion? I'd like to take you in before night fall." Alex grumbled. 'Dancer and Zelgadis exchanged unimpressed glances.

"She's awfully full of herself." 'Dancer commented, brushing a stray hair out of her face. "So's her double." Zelgadis remarked, his hand falling to his blade. "I know."

"Grr... SCATTER BLEED!" Several thirty-odd bubbles of purple energy shot out from Alex's hands.

"Who told you that? Uindi Shiirudo." Winds circled the targeted duo and repelled the violet spheres.

"I thought you did. Shouldn't we be paying a little more attention to this battle?" 'Dancer causally waved her hand in the direction of the steaming sorceress.

Zelgadis glanced at Alex.

"She does know Dragon Slave." 'Dancer pointed out. Zelgadis nodded and faced the chanting magic user.

Slamming his palm down into the ground he shouted.

"GOZ VU ROO!" The earth began to tremble and 'Dancer watched as energy shot up out of the ground surrounding Alex. Alex screamed something, then floated up into the air.

"Oye, that's cheating, come back!" 'Dancer stepped out beyond Zelgadis's shield, shaking a fist at the airborne redhead, and almost lost it when a sword flashed by.

"Che, you moved!" Amanda snarled, swinging again at 'Dancer. 'Dancer side stepped the stroke and pulled out her sais.

"Duh! You think I'd make it easy for you?" 'Dancer parried the next attack. "I was wondering when you'd show up. Is Molly here?" Amanda scowled at 'Dancer. "No." Turning about 45 degrees, 'Dancer parried the following swing and pressed foreword, testing Amanda's defense. Amanda cleverly rebuffed the attack, pushing 'Dancer back a half step.

Up in the air Alex suddenly realized that she only needed to bring Zelgadis in alive to get her bounty, not necessarily in mint condition.

"No more Miss Nice Gal," She muttered, calling on the powers of Black Magic.

"LEGUNA BLAST!" A ripple of negative energy rolled out from her hands. Zelgadis, recognizing the spell, raywinged himself out of the path of the spell. Unfortunately, Amanda and 'Dancer couldn't do the same. 'Dancer saw the ripple-effect and dropping her sais, grabbed Amanda, and forced her to the ground.

"Aghhhhhhhhhhhhhh! Hentai!" Amanda raised her sword to pummel 'Dancer when the ripple rolled over head and ate two-thirds of her sword blade. "Nani?" Once the spell rolled past (vaporizing a number of trees in the process), 'Dancer hurriedly stood.

However, she wasn't quite quick enough and Amanda landed a strong kick to her solar plexus. Stumbling away 'Dancer backed hard into a tree and doubled over.

"The finish!" Amanda yelled, clasping her hands together and bringing them down on 'Dancer's unprotected neck. At the last possible second 'Dancer threw up her arm in a clumsy upward block, her arm taking the brunt of the force as she tumbled over.

Zelgadis meanwhile was busy with a counterattack of his own.

"FERUZAREEDO!" Lightening streaked down from out of the sky and slammed into Alex's raywing. Alex's bubble wobbled and slowly began to float downward.

"DYNAST FLARE!" A pentagram appeared on the ground directly under Zelgadis, then, volcano style, erupted dark energy.

"FUROU BUREIKU!" A stream of white energy slammed into the rushing column of dark energy, not stopping it, but slowing it enough for Zelgadis's bubble to move out of danger.

Laying on her side, clutching her stomach, 'Dancer was all too aware of Amanda standing over her.

"¿No realiza que salvé su vida?" She gasped as Amanda forced her to her feet. Amanda held what little was left of the sword to 'Dancer's throat. 'Dancer closed her eyes against the tears the manhandling caused. I guess not...

"Oi, Zelgadis, if you want your friend to live I would suggest that you come down here right now!" Amanda hollered, pushing 'Dancer out where she could be seen by the aerial combatants.

"He won't surrender." 'Dancer whispered. Amanda gave her braid a viscous tug.

"Shut up! I haven't forgiven you for breaking my nose." 'Dancer hissed in pain, and wondered why she had pulled Amanda out of the way of the spell to begin with. The image of a blond girl in white flit through her mind. Oh, right, Molly. 'Dancer grimaced as Zelgadis slowly floated down to the ground. Idiota!

"Thanks Amanda!" Alex called from her place in the sky. "DISFANG!"

A dark serpent-shaped shadow welled up out of the ground and pounced on Zelgadis.

"No-!" 'Dancer cried as Amanda howled "Alex-nanio?"

'Dancer slipped to her knees, disbelievingly as the shadow-snake swallowed Zelgadis.

"N-no-FLARE ARROW!" Heedless of Amanda behind her, 'Dancer flung the spell at the shadow creature. The arrow slammed into the shadow's side, causing it to howl in pain. Suddenly it turned and faced 'Dancer.

"Shimatte!" Amanda whimpered, backing away from 'Dancer. The serpent opened it's mouth to roar, and out jumped Zelgadis. Spinning around in mid-air he fired off a spell of his own.

"VA RU FUREA!" The shadow swallowed the ball of fire that spiraled at it and seconds later imploded. 'Dancer let out a tiny sigh, then threw herself towards her sais, hearing Amanda moving behind her.

Ting! 'Dancer's sai stopped Amanda's thrown dagger. Zelgadis grabbed the dagger and threw it back, shouting "SHADOO SUNAPPU!"

Amanda tripped and pitched foreward. Twisting around she tried to see what had stopped her. Embedded in the ground, holding her shadow firmly in place, was her own dagger.

"Alex, get me outta here!"

Zelgadis calmly brought his hands up, chanting.

"Source of all power, light which burns beyond crimson, let thy power gather in my hand, " He looked triumphantly at the fallen girl. Amanda's eyes widened as she recognized the spell. "FAIA-"

"Zel, stop!" 'Dancer tried to grab his arm.

Alex suddenly dropped in front of Amanda. "BLESSED SHIELD!"

"-BOORU!"

BOOM!

As the smoke cleared from the fireball, 'Dancer rushed into the affected area. Everything in a five meter radius had been blasted to ash.

"Sacre Madre Mia, Zelgadis, didja havta kill them???" She cried, whirling around to confront him.

"They were trying to kill us. What's your problem?"

"What's my problem? Zel, they're Molly's cousin and best friend, that's my problem!" Zelgadis looked unimpressed.

"Were, Molly's cousin and best friend. If you can't tell friends from enemies in this world, don't get in the way of those that can." 'Dancer stared at him in shock. Zelgadis started to walk away.

"I knew you could be cruel," 'Dancer said drawing a ragged breath. Zelgadis stopped. "but only now that I realize how evil you are." Without another word she took off running in the opposite direction. Zelgadis staid perfectly still, staring at the ground.

"You have no idea," He whispered to the deepening gloom. "You have no idea what I've been through!"


On the other side of the forest Alex and Amanda materialized. Alex fell to her knees, wearied beyond belief by the teleportation spell. "Oi, Amanda, you ok?" Amanda sat up and nodded. "How 'bout you?" She asked of the redhead. Alex stood shakily. "I could really go for a bath, food, and a nap, and not necessarily in that order."


'Dancer walked through the forest for some time, finally climbing into the branches of a great oak to sleep. I can't believe he said that. She cushioned her head in her arms. How can he be so callous? He knows I only want to help. 'Dancer sniffled and wiped her eyes. No, no more crying. I did enough of that on Earth, I'm not gonna do that here too. Finally, exhausted from spell training and grieving, she drifted off.

The rhythmic thumping of feet woke her from the cold sweat of a nightmare. Peering through the leaves she felt her heart skip a beat. Platoon after platoon of armored monsters with pig noses marched silently beneath. Somewhere in the recesses of her brain a soft voice whispered orcs . Orcs are pack animals by nature, but this,...this is an army! Where...? Looking the direction the orcs were headed, she felt her heart sink. The small port town of Baspikwha was the only thing to the south. 'Dancer closed her eyes for a moment, torn. If she ran before the army, she could warn the townsfolks. She would also have to face Zelgadis, since that was where he was headed. Finally, as the rear scouts passed her, she opened her eyes. What choice do I have?

Slipping softly to the ground she then made a wide arc around the army. Finally past the forward scouts, she ran for all she was worth down the trail. The new moon shown weakly overhead, permitting just enough light for 'Dancer to see to run by. White and black, shadow and light. Twice 'Dancer drew her sais on shadows, mistaking them for the orc scouts. Keeping Ceiphied's Eye to her back she raced time and the monster army in the forest of her nightmares.


Zelgadis leaned against a tree, his outward appearance calm. The sound of running footsteps reached his keen ears and he listened more carefully still. Who ever it was, he was a small person who'd been running for some time, Zelgadis guessed. Not a professional runner, but in good condition. No armor, no sword, at least no scabbard. Zelgadis put his hand on the ground and smiled faintly as earth-magic gathered under his fingers. He still got a thrill from using his magic.

"Plant-sisters, with roots so deep, awaken from your slumber. Ruuto Upu!" The tree he was leaning against responded by thrusting one of it's roots up, catching the runner's foot and causing him to trip. Tucking his head, the runner hit the ground in a full somersault, and rolled to his feet, one hand one the pommel of his weapon, the other in a defensive position for any would be attacks.

" 'Dancer?" Zelgadis said after a surprised moment. They stood silently for a moment, 'Dancer looking at him, a number of unspoken thoughts reflected in her eyes. Taking a deep breath, she turned and hastened away.

Zelgadis stood startled for the second time that evening. If she wasn't running to catch up with me, what was she fleeing from? The far off sound of marching reached his ears and Zelgadis looked towards the thick of the woods.


'Dancer staggered into the town inn, gasping.

"A-alert the guard, c-call o-out you're fighters, an army's comin'!" The patrons of the inn (which happened to be a number of the men from the town) stared at her.

"What in Shabranidgu's name are you babbling about, lass?" One of the sailors sitting closest to the hearth asked her. 'Dancer, leaning against the doorjamb, took a deep breath.

"Orcs, a army of them, coming here, you've got to protect, the town!" She took a step forward and nearly fell. My head's swimming. A strong serving woman deftly caught her before she fell too far.

"Careful there girl. Now what's this about an army o' orcs? Don' you know that we've a peace treaty between the orcs an' us?" 'Dancer stared at her.

"Then tell me, why , is there an army of a hundred orcs headed in this direction?" 'Dancer asked, her knees buckling as the woman slid a chair under her.

"Heaven only knows why Monsters do anything, lass." The woman said. "But I'll fetch the duke, so stay here." 'Dancer struggled to her feet.

"No, you don't understand, there's no time! You need to get the guard, or-or evacuate. They will be here in a couple minutes!" Several strong arms grabbed her forced her down.

"Damn kid's delirious." Someone grumbled. Just then the door of the inn opened and a tall dark haired man in rich clothing entered.

"Now, who is it that is spreading such nonsense?" He asked in a courteous, if bored tone. The serving woman stepped forward.

"I apologize, your grace, but this lass here says there's an army of orcs approaching." The man flicked his gaze over to still panting 'Dancer.

"Lass? More like a street rat, by the looks of things. Have you been bothering these good people with a lot of rubbish?" The tall man's light brown eyes captured hers and 'Dancer felt a shiver go down her spine. Like a vulture... She shook her head to dispel her unease and stood, no longer restrained.

"It's not rubbish! I saw an army of orcs headed this way!" The man raised a perfect eyebrow.

"Are you certain they weren't headed another way?" 'Dancer reached the end of her already frayed patience.

"Where else would they go!?!? You're is the only town for miles around!! They'll soon be here! You've got to get some sort of defense together!" She shouted.

"You're being absurd." He said nonchalantly. "My grandfather forged peace with the orcs years ago. They wouldn't attack us. Take you're fanciful stories elsewhere." With take he dismissed her and walked regally out the door.

"Why that bas-oof!" Punched in the gut 'Dancer crumpled back into her chair as a tankard of ale was passed to her.

"¿Qué los cuernos?" She gasped as a burly man sat down beside her, pulling her chair around and up to his table.

"Don't start anything, lass." The man warned in a low tone. "The people of Baspikwha are fiercely loyal to their royal house, even if the duke is a rotten man."

"You didn't have to hit me so hard." 'Dancer hissed, the air slowly returning to her lungs. She took a second look at the man. He wore a uniform with the badge of a deputy.

"Oye, you're captain of the guard?" The man smiled at her observation. " 'Twas. A week ago his grace," he spat out the last two words "broke me back to a recruit for daring to act on my own." 'Dancer looked down at the tankard set in front of her for a moment. "I'm sorry, I hadn't realized." The man shrugged. "Don't be, 'twas my own fault."

'Dancer looked up sharply. "You're an intelligent man, why don't you leave town before the orcs get here?" The ex-captain smiled sadly at her. "I can't lass. My great transgression was declaring my love for his sister. If you are correct, I'll be needed here, protecting Lelanna." 'Dancer looked away, suddenly embarrassed by the love she saw shining in his eyes for the absent lady.

"Good luck then." Without another word she stood and left the inn.


"]]Okay, okay I'll talk.[[" Squealed the orc Zelgadis held by the throat.

"]]Good[[" He growled. "]]Now, what is this army planning?[[" "]]We were told to wait until the moonset, then attack.[[" "]]Who told you to do that?[[" "]]Green-stone Man did.[[" "]]Who is Green-stone Man?[[" Zelgadis asked. The orc shrugged (rather, tired to.) Zelgadis shook the pig-faced Monster violently. "]] WHO is Green-stone Man?[["

"]]I-i-ii-I d-d-d-don't n-n-n-know![[" It shrieked. "]]He just came into the Den one evening last winter and started talking with our chief.[[" Zelgadis fixed the orc with a stony glare."]]Then what?[["

"]]We were starving last winter, Chief Toesmasher didn't have a choice. He agreed to help the Green-stone Man in exchange for food.[["

"]]And this was what he agreed to?[[" Zelgadis nodded his head in the direction of the army.

"]]Yes! An army to sack and burn the town. Will you please put me down now?[[" It begged pitifully. Zelgadis looked at it in disgust, the sharply commanded,

"Suriipingu!" Zelgadis dropped the orc as it became deadweight, asleep. Silently, he disappeared into the forest.


'Dancer trudged away from Baspikwha along the searoad, a sliver of a moon sitting low on the horizon ahead of her.

"Damn them all! How can they not-." 'Dancer fell silent suddenly, her sullen mood the only answer that she needed.

"So blind." She grumbled, wiping an unexpected and unappreciated tear away.

"Fine then, I wash my hands of you." She declared bitterly, over her shoulder at the town. Something moved just beyond her field of vision and 'Dancer looked again.

The unmistakable figures of Alex and Amanda walked out of the forest. Relief flooded 'Dancer. "Someone loves those two," She smiled weakly, glad to see them alive. Almost instantly her relief vanished. They were walking towards the town. 'Dancer's shoulders sagged. "And someone hates me." She sighed, turning back to the town.

"Oye!"


'Dancer bit back a cry of pain as she fell on her tush. Standing over her, looking truly evil in the dim light, Amanda and Alex glared down at her.

"Now, tell me exactly why I shouldn't blast you into primal elements." Alex growled, holding a fireball in hand. 'Dancer sourly returned her gaze.

"I came to warn you that the town would soon be under attack from an army of orcs, not that you obviously care."

"Why should we believe you?" Amanda asked scornfully.

"Can you think of another reason why'd come and talk to you? I'm not exactly on your list of favorite people."

"More like our hit list." Amanda agreed. Alex ignored the comment.

"Does the duke know?" 'Dancer tossed her head angrily.

"His grace," she spat "only saw fit to insult me in front of a tavern. Do yourself a favor a leave this place to it's fate." Alex and Amanda exchanged glances.

"How many?" Alex asked.

"A hundred, give or take a dozen orcs. I wasn't taking an exact census." Alex gave Amanda a worried look.

"I'm going." She said, striding purposefully into the heart of town.

"!¿Qu-?! Where is she going??" 'Dancer demanded of Amanda. Amanda gave her a flat look.

"Her aunt and cousin live here. Auntie is bedridden, and Molly would never forgive her if she left Auntie and Alicia to a horde of orcs."

"Argh! Is everyone in this town plain stupid?! It's a friggin' army of Monsters! Does nobody understand that?!?!" Amanda slapped 'Dancer sharply.

"Listen, Stormdancer Saisan, everyone in this town owes their collective lives to the duke's grandfather. Because of that, and the fact that this is their home, nobody is going to leave. They'd rather fight."

"Then they'll all die." 'Dancer hissed, one hand covering her smarting cheek.

"Not if they're warned in time. And not if we're here." Amanda took a deep breath. "Granted, the duke is an ass, but Alex and I are committed to defending this town. If you're only going to insult my best friend and my home town, just leave." Her piece, said and done Amanda marched off.

'Dancer stood there for a moment, staring at the ground. Finally she looked up and trotted after the swordwoman. Amanda have her a disagreeable side glance.

"What now?" 'Dancer looked discontentedly off to one side.

"I lost my home to monsters. And part of my family." She paused, glancing back at the forest. "Besides, we're all gonna die someday." Amanda gave her an astonished look that melted into a crooked smile.

"You're a strange duck, 'Dancer." 'Dancer snorted.

"So I've been told."


'Dancer stood on the roof of Alex's aunt's house, watching the forest edge as the moon slipped below the horizon. Clouds began to gather inland and 'Dancer cussed softly. Without starlight the town would be plunged into pitch blackness.

"See anything yet?" Alex asked from the window leading onto the roof.

"Nothing but clouds to the north." 'Dancer said disgustedly. "The way they're traveling, it'll be completely dark in an hour's time." Alex climbed out the window and onto the roof.

"From the north? That's not natural." She sat down near 'Dancer.

"Unless you've got a spell to clear those clouds away, there's nothing we can do but wait now." Amanda announced, crawling onto the roof.

"Everything's in place then?" 'Dancer asked, still somewhat amazed at the girls' resourcefulness.

"Every trench Alex magiked up has been covered, all of the Guard have been put on alert by "the duke" himself." Amanda and Alex shared a private giggle. 'Dancer's eyebrows disappeared into her bangs, but they ignored her quizzly look. "None of the local dogs will get to sleep, not with the powder I fed them," Amanda looked positively pleased with herself. "And the entire town has been surrounded with a trip wire."

"You know, we're gonna be run out of town again if the women ever discover that it was us who stole all those clothes lines." Alex commented lazily.

"Has that ever been known to bother you?" Amanda asked equally non-comitamentally.

"No."

"You've been run out of town before?" 'Dancer asked, glancing up for a moment.

Both bountyhunters exchanged unhappy looks.

"Yeah, that prick of a duke had us exiled."

"Oh? And why was that?"

"As I recall, he goosed Alex." Amanda remarked drolly.

"You would have dil branded him to, if he'd done that to you." Alex snapped.

"No I wouldn't, I'd have made him bathe in piranha infested waters."

'Dancer for the most part ignored the argument that erupted, straining to see as the night grew gloomier. Chewing on her thumb nail she wished she didn't want Zelgadis by her side as much as she did. I've gotten too dependent on him.

"What about you 'Dancer?" 'Dancer blinked and looked over at Alex.

"¿Pardón? Oh, I'd have ripped his balls off and forced fed them to him, I guess." That remark earned her twin raised eyebrows.

"Alex just asked you about Zelgadis." Amanda said casually. 'Dancer's head began to hurt.

"We had a disagreement. I haven't seen him since... he fireballed you." 'Dancer remembered running into him in the forest. That doesn't really count.

"Any idea where he's headed?" Amanda asked slyly. 'Dancer gave her a flat look.

"Into the jaguar's mouth. He's gone to Saaphiro." Both girls gasped.

"Is he nuts?" "Why'd he do that?" They asked at the same time.

"Maybe he wants to clear his name. I don't know. I don't know why I even bothered helping him." The last remark was more to herself, but both girls caught it.

"What was your disagreement about?" Alex asked.

"Looks like we lost the last of our natural light." 'Dancer rose abruptly, changing the subject. "If they're going to attack, it'll be now."

As if they had heard her remark, a platoon of orcs rushed into the town from the east, getting up close and personal view of the bountyhunters' handiwork.

"Amanda, you still any good with your arrows?" Alex asked suddenly as Amanda put an arrow to the string.

"Yeah," Amanda answered with a half smile. "Good. You two pick off any who manage to get past the traps. I've an errand to run."

"Pick 'em off with what?" 'Dancer demanded as Alex levitated off the roof.

"Your flare arrows, what else?" 'Dancer turned back to the growing horde.

"You people overrate my talents way too much." She grumbled, mentally preparing herself.


Part 19   |   Story Index   |   Fanfiction